FDNY Probie assignments

Another FD probie class graduates tomorrow, 9/24. ~300 graduates. Anyone able to post the DO that lists probie assignments? Thanks in advance.

PROBY ASSIGNMENTS effective 9-25-19..... http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider/resources/do/2019/084_sup_72_2019_eoe.pdf

^^^^^^^^ Thank you to poster "211231" who had posted this on another site.... & Welcome Aboard to ALL...... QUOTE..A story of many of the legacies from the graduating class:

www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/nyregion/9-11-firefighters-children.html

(I realize some may not be able to access the link above, therefore I've copied and pasted the story below, deleting advertisements. I could not post the photos. I hope in deleting the ads and other extraneous stuff I did not inadvertently delete anything pertinent and I did the article justice.)

Children of 9/11, Following Their Fathers? Last Footsteps
On Tuesday, the largest group of children of firefighters killed on Sept. 11 or from related diseases joins the city?s Fire Department. Here are their stories.

By Anne Barnard
Sept. 24, 2019
Updated 8:08 a.m. ET

They were just children when their fathers ran toward the twin towers on Sept. 11, 2001. They grew up revering parents ? firefighters and police officers ? who were killed that day, or died years later from the toxic dust.

When a reporter starts to ask them ?How old?? ? wanting to know their current age ? many reflexively answer ?7? or ?5? or ?10,? their age when their families were upended by a terrorist attack that remains painfully etched in the city?s collective memory.

On Tuesday, a record number of these children of slain rescuers will take an oath, like their fathers did, to serve New York City.

Of the class of 301 trainees graduating as probationary firefighters, 21 are children of men who died in the line of duty. Their ranks include 12 sons and one daughter of firefighters killed on Sept. 11; six sons of firefighters or police officers who died of diseases linked to their time on the pile; and the sons of a firefighter and a police officer who died on the job.

Never before has there been a class filled with as many children of Sept. 11 victims.

?If it were to happen again ? it was their job and they went to save people ? I would probably do the same thing,? said Leonard J. Ragaglia Jr., whose father died the day of the attacks and who is graduating from the Fire Academy with his brother, Anthony.

Much like the growing number of American troops in Afghanistan who were born after Sept. 11, 2001, the critical mass of trainees, known as ?legacies,? is a testament to the passage of time. But it also represents the durability of loss, and its power to inspire.

?It?s all I wanted to do all my life,? said Scott B. Larsen, 22, one of the youngest trainees. ?To help other people.?

He was just 4 when his father, Scott A. Larsen, was killed after responding to the attacks from a firehouse near South Street Seaport. Mostly, he remembers ?everyone freaking out? at his grandparents? house in Glendale, Queens, and the birth of his brother two days later. But his family?s sacrifice became part of his identity.

?We don?t talk about it much,? he said. ?But everybody in the neighborhood knows.?

Two trainees declined to participate in this story. Photos of Mr. Larsen and two other graduating probationary firefighters, Liam Ryan, 24, and Dylan Boesch, 25, the sons of police officers who died in the line of duty, were not available. The rest told their stories here:

Manny Mojica, 23
Son of Manuel Mojica Jr., Squad 18, Manhattan
Mr. Mojica remembers his father, killed on Sept. 11, as the ultimate protector. The elder Mr. Mojica was a burly man with a Marines tattoo who rode a motorcycle to work and showed up to school pickup in Bellmore on Long Island, with a big English mastiff named Jake. Learning how to break through doors and haul hoses, his son said, ?has answered all the questions I had growing up, about the day-to-day atmosphere of what he was doing.?

?It?s a dream come true,? said Mr. Mojica, who worked as an auto mechanic before starting his training. ?It?s all I?ve ever wanted.?

Mike Florio, 24
Son of John J. Florio from Engine 214, Brooklyn
John J. Florio?s firehouse in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn is nicknamed ?The Nuthouse.? Although Mike was only 6 when his father was killed on Sept. 11, he has fitting boyhood memories of his father playing Metallica and ?getting everyone rowdy.?

?I?ve always known that type of life is something I see myself doing,? said the younger Mr. Florio, the father of year-old twin boys. ?I?m not an office type of person.?

Rebecca Asaro, 27, and Marc Asaro, 25
Children of Carl F. Asaro, Battalion 9, Manhattan
Two siblings, Rebecca and Marc Asaro, already have two older brothers in the Fire Department. Growing up, Mr. Asaro remembered thinking, ?My dad has the coolest job in the world!?

The Asaro siblings recalled a loving father and a devoted Grateful Dead fan who took them on fishing trips with a seemingly endless number of unofficial Fire Department godfathers and uncles. Ms. Asaro, a former paramedic, and Mr. Asaro, a former construction worker, now tease each other about who did better in training.

?It doesn?t feel real,? Ms. Asaro said. ?My dad sat in this classroom. And my brothers. It brings us all a little closer to our father.?

Thomas Heedles, 29
Son of Dennis Heedles Sr., Engine 151, Staten Island
Mr. Heedles, like many of those who have lost firefighter fathers to Sept. 11-related illnesses, finds it strange how quickly cancer killed a man who had seemed invincible. He recalls his father as a funny man who ?liked to bust people?s chops. Like mine. A lot.?

The elder Mr. Heedles?s death in 2015 left his son a bittersweet gift. A few years ago, Mr. Heedles had narrowly missed qualifying for training through the Fire Department?s competitive exam. On his last try, he made it. He credits his ?legacy points,? awarded to candidates who have lost a parent in the line of duty, with giving him this chance to follow his father.

Brendan Regan, 30
Son of Lt. Robert Regan, Ladder 118, Brooklyn
Mr. Regan grew up in Floral Park on Long Island, where his father coached his baseball team. Mr. Regan was 12 when his father was killed on Sept. 11.

?Some people don?t get 12 years of any dad,? he said. ?I got 12 ? that?s how I try to look at it.?

?Those years are a jumble,? he said of the aftermath. ?We were sad, but also I was super proud. There was a ton of support from the Fire Department, the community, the city. Everyone else was hurting around you. Even if we were hurting a little bit more, you never felt completely alone.?

Anthony Ragaglia, 25, and Leonard J. Ragaglia Jr., 28
Sons of Leonard J. Ragaglia, Engine 54, Manhattan
The Ragaglia brothers, from Staten Island, were 7 and 10 when their father was killed on Sept. 11, one of 15 men from the same firehouse to die. ?I had to step up and help my mom,? Leonard recalled. Anthony eventually got a tattoo of their father on his arm.

?If it were to happen again ? it was their job and they went to save people ? I would probably do the same thing,? Leonard said.

Family photos depict their father cuddling and roughhousing with this sons, and posing in front of a fire truck with a young Leonard.

Robert Tilearcio Jr., 29
Son of Robert Tilearcio, Engine 266, Queens
Mr. Tilearcio?s father died in 2017 of brain cancer attributed to his rescue and recovery work at ground zero. Before his training, the younger Mr. Tilearcio made it his mission to help others who fell ill after working on what became known as the pile. He worked for a law firm, reaching out to emergency workers? families to help them get health care and payments from the victim compensation fund.

He remembers being in seventh grade on the day of the terror attack, and knowing that his father would be headed to ground zero. The elder Mr. Tilearcio did not return home for seven days. For months afterward, ?I don?t think he ever had a day off,? Mr. Tilearcio recalled.

Matthew Jovic, 28
Son of Lt. Anthony M. Jovic, Engine 275, Queens
As a boy growing up on Long Island, Mr. Jovic loved hearing firehouse stories, and he absorbed his father?s ethic ?to live your life serving other people.?

But only now, after training in smoke, does he understand why his father often had a runny nose. The mundane details of learning the job mix with memories of the surreal day he lost his father in the Sept. 11 attacks. After his mother picked him up from school in Massapequa, the news on the car radio ?sounded insane,? he recalled. ?That two-minute car ride felt like a day.?

Pete Carroll, 26
Son of Peter J. Carroll, Squad 1, Brooklyn
Recently, Mr. Carroll said, he and his girlfriend were looking at his third-grade yearbook from Public School 4 on Staten Island. ?Everyone put what they wanted to be when they grew up,? he said. ?All the other kids put ?NFL player? and stuff like that. Mine was ?firefighter.??

For Mr. Carroll, as for many trainees, firefighting is a family affair. His older brother, Michael, works as a firefighter with Rescue 5 on Staten Island. Mr. Carroll, previously an electrician, said he now has his chance to ?step up.?

Brian Phillips, 29
Son of Raymond R. Phillips Jr., Rescue 3, Bronx
?My brother wanted to be the firefighter and I wanted to be the cop,? Mr. Phillips said. ?But we swapped.?

Growing up in upstate New York, he rarely visited his father at work in the Bronx, he said, but he still experienced the closeness of the fire community during holiday gatherings. After his father became sick with a Sept. 11-related illness that killed him last year, there was ?a revolving door? of visitors, Mr. Phillips said. ?I wanted to be part of that, the fraternity.?

Robert J. Foti Jr., 29
Son of Robert J. Foti, Ladder 7, Manhattan
Mr. Foti went to school around the corner from his father?s firehouse on East 29th Street, and spent a lot of time among the firefighters, before and after his father was killed on Sept. 11. ?When I stop by, they still treat me like I?m 10 years old,? Mr. Foti said.

Mr. Foti worked as an electrician while waiting for his chance to train, and he is thrilled to be able to join them on the job. His mother, who was hoping he would choose a career with fewer risks, is less enthusiastic, he said, but finally gave her blessing, saying, ??I can?t stop a grown man from doing what he loves.??

Greg Kumpel, 28
Son of Kenneth B. Kumpel, Ladder 25, Queens
Growing up in Cornwall, Mr. Kumpel never thought he would be a firefighter; that ambition belonged to his younger brother, Carl, who already works for the Fire Department in Harlem. Greg Kumpel wanted to play professional baseball. But the more he heard about the job from his brother, the more he wanted to stand ?in my dad?s shoes.?

Mr. Kumpel knew his father, killed on Sept. 11, mainly as strict and serious ? ?We butted heads? ? but he got to hear stories during training about his father as the firehouse ?jokester and prankster.?

Kevin Kerr, 23
Son of Kenneth W. Kerr, Engine 90, the Bronx
Mr. Kerr was 4 when his father died, on Nov. 15, 2000, of a heart attack after responding to a call. There are many reasons to join the department, he said ? great benefits, camaraderie ? but his main reason was the calling handed down from father to son.

?I wanted to live up to the man,? he said, ?and to go down the path I thought was morally correct.?

Emmet Meehan, 28
Son of Lt. Edward T. Meehan, Ladder 22, Manhattan
Mr. Meehan?s father died last year of a Sept. 11-related illness, a reminder, he said, that the attacks are still claiming victims. Mr. Meehan was in fifth grade in Nyack when his father rushed to the city to help in the aftermath. It was characteristic of his dedication, the son said.

?He lived on the job for 35 years,? he said. UNQUOTE.

NBC and CBS covered this on their national broadcast last night. In addition this morning  CBS did several interviews, including a pair of brothers and a brother and sister, children whose fathers answered their last alarm on 9-11.

One story of a brother and sister who BOTH graduated from this FDNY Probie Class, that lost their FDNY father at the WTC on September 11, 2001.

This Brother and sister now join their other TWO family members, their two brothers, already on the FDNY. ALL FOUR now members of the FDNY, whose father was killed at the WTC on 9/11.

We wish ALL of the newest FDNY MEMBERS a SAFE and HAPPY Career

This video was done about two weeks ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEvcVVgXngo

Last edited:
For Robert Foti, Jr. My wife Mary and I moved to Harmony at Brookberry Farm, here in Winston-Salem. Your late grandfather, Joe, was our next door neighbor. The day I met him, he was proudly wearing his FDNY cap. I asked him if he had been on the job, and he told me about your dad. I could see the anguish on Joe's face as he talked about loss of his son. When Joe passed away, I met your uncle. We talked about a friend of mine from 54 and 4, Charlie Norkus. It is a small world.
Regards, Steve Tellis

Thanks for the information. Is the appointment date, the same date that classes start at the academy? If not, when do the probies start their 18 weeks of learning?

The Vacation letters after the names are the vacation sequence that they are assigned....vacations are spread out so there is a somewhat equal number of FFs on vacation at one time.
Do the letters correspond to a particular month or a set number of days or weeks? Could you give me an example for H please?

Thanks for the information. Is the appointment date, the same date that classes start at the academy? If not, when do the probies start their 18 weeks of learning?
It's the same, you go to quartermaster before appointment but, appointment starts the academy