FDNY Response Guidelines

Joined
Jun 10, 2017
Messages
333
Does anyone have a list of the response guidelines for the FDNY? I know how many they send to a box but what about Class 3?s, Odor of Gas, Manhole Fires, Auto Extrications, etc.. It?d be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
I left my book at home so I can't type it out at work now

I'll either type it out tonight, tomorrow or Wednesday when I am back at work

Unless some one else does it before me
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
FairfaxFirePhotography said:
grumpy grizzly said:
FDNY Operational Reference guide lists 4 or 5 pages to that. Pages 46-49.

Looks like I?m buying a book then haha

Got the book last month. Worth the buy. Not sure what took me so long to buy it lol
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
Alarm Assignment:

First Alarm (Single Source; Smoke/Fire or 2nd Source)
3 Engines 2 Ladders 1 Battalion
(Rescue, Squad, Marine, Satellite If normally assigned)

10-75 or “Loading The Box” (Total Response)
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Fast Truck, 2 Battalions, 1 Division
(1st Due Rescue & Squad if available & not previously assigned; replacements if requested by IC)
(4th Ladder is assigned if the first 2 Ladders each have only 4 firefighters)

7-5 All Hands(Total Response)
4 Engines 2 Ladders, 1 Fast Truck, 2 Battalions, Division
(Rescue & Squad if not previously assigned. 1 RAC Unit)

2nd Alarm(Additional Response)
4 Engines, 1 Communications Engine, 2 Ladders, 3 Battalions (FF, RUL, Safety)
Satellite, Field Comm, Field Comm BC, Tac, Safety & Rescue BCs, RAC, RAC Manager, Command Tac Unit(Self-Assigned)

3rd Alarm(Additional Response)
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 3 Battalions(FF, Staging Area Manager, Air Recon)
Mask Service Unit, PIO

4th+ Alarms
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Battalion


Class E & 3 Alarms
Engine Ladder Battalion

Class J Alarms (0700-1900)
Engine Ladder Battalion

Class J Alarms (1900-0700)
3 Engines 2 Ladders 1 Battalion
(1st Due Engine Ladder & Battalion respond Emergency Mode, other Units on a 10-20)

Gas Leaks
2 Engine 2 Ladders 1 Battalion

Auto Extrications
1 Engine 1 Ladder 1 Battalion Rescue (If normally assigned in area)
Confirmed Pin Rescue (If not already assigned) Squad, 2nd Engine & Ladder

Manhole
3 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Battalion


*Ill add more later if you need more*
 

rangermsg1

Active member
Joined
Feb 26, 2019
Messages
403
During a 2nd Alarm.  How are the roles for a BC that is designated as Safety different than the Safety BC?
 

QNS7883

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
73
Signal73 said:
Alarm Assignment:

First Alarm (Single Source; Smoke/Fire or 2nd Source)
3 Engines 2 Ladders 1 Battalion
(Rescue, Squad, Marine, Satellite If normally assigned)

10-75 or ?Loading The Box? (Total Response)
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Fast Truck, 2 Battalions, 1 Division
(1st Due Rescue & Squad if available & not previously assigned; replacements if requested by IC)
(4th Ladder is assigned if the first 2 Ladders each have only 4 firefighters)

7-5 All Hands(Total Response)
4 Engines 2 Ladders, 1 Fast Truck, 2 Battalions, Division
(Rescue & Squad if not previously assigned. 1 RAC Unit)

2nd Alarm(Additional Response)
4 Engines, 1 Communications Engine, 2 Ladders, 3 Battalions (FF, RUL, Safety)
Satellite, Field Comm, Field Comm BC, Tac, Safety & Rescue BCs, RAC, RAC Manager, Command Tac Unit(Self-Assigned)

3rd Alarm(Additional Response)
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 3 Battalions(FF, Staging Area Manager, Air Recon)
Mask Service Unit, PIO

4th+ Alarms
4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Battalion


Class E & 3 Alarms
Engine Ladder Battalion

Class J Alarms (0700-1900)
Engine Ladder Battalion

Class J Alarms (1900-0700)
3 Engines 2 Ladders 1 Battalion
(1st Due Engine Ladder & Battalion respond Emergency Mode, other Units on a 10-20)

Gas Leaks
2 Engine 2 Ladders 1 Battalion

Auto Extrications
1 Engine 1 Ladder 1 Battalion Rescue (If normally assigned in area)
Confirmed Pin Rescue (If not already assigned) Squad, 2nd Engine & Ladder

Manhole
3 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Battalion


*Ill add more later if you need more*

A couple of updates:

The RAC unit is now assigned on the 10-75 rather than the All Hands. An additional RAC is assigned on the third.

A Communications Unit is assigned on the third rather than the second.

I have been advised that the next edition of the Operations Reference will have additional data on response assignments.
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
Yeah i guess the book is out dated

Sorry guys

Was just texted some updates. Thank you 290

Loading up the box. 
4-2 and rescue and squad if avail
No more fast truck or 2nd chief till the 10-75

If field comm batt is staffed they become the staging manager on the 3rd

Class 3. Automatic and valve alarms in private residences 1&1 no Chief
In commercials 1&1 and a chief.
Manual alarms and auto and valves in letter codes F G H I J K & T get 3&2

Class e is 1 engine or 1 ladder and a chief monitoring 24 hrs
Same for class J 1e or 1L and BC 0700-1900

Min response for gas leaks is 2&1    2&2 if both normally assigned 1st and 2nd due trucks avail.
Manholes 3&1 with the same stip for trucks
 

grumpy grizzly

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
Messages
3,155
Some differences in Boston and Chicago. Boston with a confirmed fire or a box struck because of calls, pulled boxes, etc BFD will assigned the fourth engine as the R. I. T. engines, usually the first due on the second alarm. Chicago on the report of a confirmed fire you get the R. I. T. truck, a B/C and an ALS ambulance. BFD does not have the equivelant of a 10-75, it is first, second, etc. CFD does have a "still and box", again with the RIT assignment. CFD also sends a squad and a comm van.
 

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
841
Signal73 said:
Yeah i guess the book is out dated

Sorry guys

Was just texted some updates. Thank you 290

Loading up the box. 
4-2 and rescue and squad if avail
No more fast truck or 2nd chief till the 10-75

If field comm batt is staffed they become the staging manager on the 3rd

Class 3. Automatic and valve alarms in private residences 1&1 no Chief
In commercials 1&1 and a chief.
Manual alarms and auto and valves in letter codes F G H I J K & T get 3&2

Class e is 1 engine or 1 ladder and a chief monitoring 24 hrs
Same for class J 1e or 1L and BC 0700-1900

Min response for gas leaks is 2&1    2&2 if both normally assigned 1st and 2nd due trucks avail.
Manholes 3&1 with the same stip for trucks

I?m pretty sure they still send the FAST Truck and 2nd chief when loading up the box. That is unless this was changed in the last month or so...
 

4 truck

Active member
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
578
FDNY Response Videos said:
Signal73 said:
Yeah i guess the book is out dated

Sorry guys

Was just texted some updates. Thank you 290

Loading up the box. 
4-2 and rescue and squad if avail
No more fast truck or 2nd chief till the 10-75

If field comm batt is staffed they become the staging manager on the 3rd

Class 3. Automatic and valve alarms in private residences 1&1 no Chief
In commercials 1&1 and a chief.
Manual alarms and auto and valves in letter codes F G H I J K & T get 3&2

Class e is 1 engine or 1 ladder and a chief monitoring 24 hrs
Same for class J 1e or 1L and BC 0700-1900

Min response for gas leaks is 2&1    2&2 if both normally assigned 1st and 2nd due trucks avail.
Manholes 3&1 with the same stip for trucks

I?m pretty sure they still send the FAST Truck and 2nd chief when loading up the box. That is unless this was changed in the last month or so...

Just had one today.  Loaded up the box.  4th engine and rescue.  10-75 fast truck and 10-75 chief
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
FDNY Response Videos said:
Signal73 said:
Yeah i guess the book is out dated

Sorry guys

Was just texted some updates. Thank you 290

Loading up the box. 
4-2 and rescue and squad if avail
No more fast truck or 2nd chief till the 10-75

If field comm batt is staffed they become the staging manager on the 3rd

Class 3. Automatic and valve alarms in private residences 1&1 no Chief
In commercials 1&1 and a chief.
Manual alarms and auto and valves in letter codes F G H I J K & T get 3&2

Class e is 1 engine or 1 ladder and a chief monitoring 24 hrs
Same for class J 1e or 1L and BC 0700-1900

Min response for gas leaks is 2&1    2&2 if both normally assigned 1st and 2nd due trucks avail.
Manholes 3&1 with the same stip for trucks

I?m pretty sure they still send the FAST Truck and 2nd chief when loading up the box. That is unless this was changed in the last month or so...

Changed 2 weeks ago

Box loaded up 4&2 Rescue Squad & Chief

10-75 transmitted brings Fast Truck 10-75 Chief Division & RAC
 

jks19714

New member
Joined
Dec 30, 2015
Messages
138
Any idea when the next OpRef edition is due out?  (waiting with bated breath! :)  I love that book - read every edition cover to cover. (and I live in Delaware)
 

68jk09

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
13,970
rangermsg1 said:
During a 2nd Alarm.  How are the roles for a BC that is designated as Safety different than the Safety BC?
There used to be 2 Safety BNs on duty SB*1 was quartered on Randalls Island at the Mask Service Unit FH & SB*2 was Quartered on Bradford St with 332/175 in ENY..... around 1999 or 2000 they decided to cut/disband one of them (SB*2) now with only one to respond Citywide they did a "smoke & mirrors" move & had all regular BCs attend a one day class on Safety & then all BCs were deemed "qualified" to act as " "Safety Chief"....as said the designated SC holds down the fort until the actual SB  arrives & generally either assists him or could be assigned to another Sector depending on conditions either way we lost a BN. when they disbanded SB*2.
 

btanner.indy

New member
Joined
Apr 4, 2017
Messages
14
Indianapolis Fire Department is a little different.

A Residential fire response  is 3 Engines(1 is RIT), 2 Ladders, a Squad and a BC.  A working fire adds a Ladder(RIT), a Medic Ambulance, a TSU(Air/Rehab), and Safety Officer.

A Commercial or Multi-Residential fire gets an extra Engine on initial dispatch. Also the shift commander on marking worker.

A high rise, healthcare or school gets 5 Engines(1 RIT), 2 Ladders, a Squad, 2 BC, Shift Commander, Safety Officer.  On marking it a worker in a high rise, an automatic 2nd Alarm is dispatched along with a TSU.  Healthcare and School gets 1 Ladder(RIT) ,  a Medic Ambulance, a TSU(Air/Rehab), and Safety Officer.

Engines and Ladders are staffed with 1 Officer and 3 FF. A Squad is staffed with an Officer and a FF.  A BC has a Capt. as an aid.  A TSU is a Lt. only.  A Safety Officer is a BC that has no aide.


Back in the day, a Residence got 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, a Squad if close and a DC.  A Commercial or Multiple Residential got 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 Squad if close and a DC.  A High Rise, Hospital or School got 4 Engines, 2 Ladders a Squad and 1 DC.  If downtown the Shift Commander went as well.  On Working fire, nothing was added unless requested for. 
 
Joined
Jun 10, 2017
Messages
333
Safety Captain said:
Indianapolis Fire Department is a little different.

A Residential fire response  is 3 Engines(1 is RIT), 2 Ladders, a Squad and a BC.  A working fire adds a Ladder(RIT), a Medic Ambulance, a TSU(Air/Rehab), and Safety Officer.

A Commercial or Multi-Residential fire gets an extra Engine on initial dispatch. Also the shift commander on marking worker.

A high rise, healthcare or school gets 5 Engines(1 RIT), 2 Ladders, a Squad, 2 BC, Shift Commander, Safety Officer.  On marking it a worker in a high rise, an automatic 2nd Alarm is dispatched along with a TSU.  Healthcare and School gets 1 Ladder(RIT) ,  a Medic Ambulance, a TSU(Air/Rehab), and Safety Officer.

Engines and Ladders are staffed with 1 Officer and 3 FF. A Squad is staffed with an Officer and a FF.  A BC has a Capt. as an aid.  A TSU is a Lt. only.  A Safety Officer is a BC that has no aide.


Back in the day, a Residence got 2 Engines, 1 Ladder, a Squad if close and a DC.  A Commercial or Multiple Residential got 3 Engines, 1 Ladder, 1 Squad if close and a DC.  A High Rise, Hospital or School got 4 Engines, 2 Ladders a Squad and 1 DC.  If downtown the Shift Commander went as well.  On Working fire, nothing was added unless requested for.

Here in Fairfax we do it like this:

Initial report of a structure fire gets

4 Engines, 2 Trucks, 1 Rescue, 1 Medic, 2 Battalion?s, 2 EMS Supervisors, 1 Safety Officer, and 1 Investigator.

Upon a confirmation of a working fire, a RIT 1 Response is dispatched

RIT 1: 1 Engine, 1 Truck/Rescue, 1 Medic, 1 Command Unit, 1 Light & Air, 1 Safety Officer

A 2nd Alarm brings the same units as an initial, and a 3rd Alarm does the same
 

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
841
Signal73 said:
FDNY Response Videos said:
Signal73 said:
Yeah i guess the book is out dated

Sorry guys

Was just texted some updates. Thank you 290

Loading up the box. 
4-2 and rescue and squad if avail
No more fast truck or 2nd chief till the 10-75

If field comm batt is staffed they become the staging manager on the 3rd

Class 3. Automatic and valve alarms in private residences 1&1 no Chief
In commercials 1&1 and a chief.
Manual alarms and auto and valves in letter codes F G H I J K & T get 3&2

Class e is 1 engine or 1 ladder and a chief monitoring 24 hrs
Same for class J 1e or 1L and BC 0700-1900

Min response for gas leaks is 2&1    2&2 if both normally assigned 1st and 2nd due trucks avail.
Manholes 3&1 with the same stip for trucks

I?m pretty sure they still send the FAST Truck and 2nd chief when loading up the box. That is unless this was changed in the last month or so...

Changed 2 weeks ago

Box loaded up 4&2 Rescue Squad & Chief

10-75 transmitted brings Fast Truck 10-75 Chief Division & RAC

Yesterday they loaded up a box on 129th Street at around 10am in Manhattan. FAST truck was assigned (L30) and I believe the DC and FF Chief were assigned as well.
 

Signal73

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 20, 2014
Messages
11,280
Maybe they forgot the new policy or went back to the old one
 
Top