FDNY RIG Colors why does FDNY Not do the color scheme like this?

So you don't want any white on it, is that what you mean? The only difference is that the cab would be all red and the white stripe would be red?

From what I was told, and I could be wrong, the white cab was introduced as a safety feature when the FDNY ditched the lime green color scheme trial. The gold-white-gold graphics and white bold rig numbers design was first introduced on L 112 with the suggestion made by Lt TK of L 112.

I would also add that I think going back to some of the American LaFrance Engines purchased maybe early 80s, some had their roofs painted white as it was thought that would reflect some of the heat from the hot summer sun as members rode inside near the hot engine compartment. Bearing in mind that there were NO airconditioned rigs in those days.

As I remember it was either Engine 50 or Engine 82 that I took a picture of that rig solely because it was one of the select few that had their roofs painted white during that trial time.

Willy D asked me to post this

This photo of Lt TK of Ladder 112 in the topic
FDNY Rig Colors why does FDNY Not do the color scheme ....

In reply # 8 by Johnny Gage Lt TK of L112 seen second member from the right at the 50th anniversary of FDNY Probie Class October 1968

Also among that class were retired B/C Jack Kleehaas (68jk09) and retired Captain John Bendick (jbendick)

BF5CE8C0-3191-4B7C-8ECA-B728A9D3450B.jpeg

I would also add that I think going back to some of the American LaFrance Engines purchased maybe early 80s, some had their roofs painted white as it was thought that would reflect some of the heat from the hot summer sun as members rode inside near the hot engine compartment. Bearing in mind that there were NO airconditioned rigs in those days.

As I remember it was either Engine 50 or Engine 82 that I took a picture of that rig solely because it was one of the select few that had their roofs painted white during that trial time.

Here is a photo of Engine 82, an ALF pumper with roof painted white.

www.flickr.com/photos/64984462@N06/5924514742/

Also Squad 1.

www.flickr.com/photos/64984462@N06/5923951317/

^^^^^ SQ*1 above was the first one to have the roof painted white as an experiment to see if it kept the cab & crew area cooler.

So you don't want any white on it, is that what you mean? The only difference is that the cab would be all red and the white stripe would be red?
Well in today's world, where Eskimo Pies has to changes its "offensive name, having so much white and no black could really offend someone. On a serious note I really liked the look of the all red rigs on the War Years. Everybody has red with a white roof. The World's Largest Fire Department should stand out IMHO.

Well in today's world, where Eskimo Pies has to changes its "offensive name, having so much white and no black could really offend someone. On a serious note I really liked the look of the all red rigs on the War Years. Everybody has red with a white roof. The World's Largest Fire Department should stand out IMHO.
theres
ENGINE 43 and SQUAD 8 for those feelins "offended". and of course, there's always Chicago.

Did the white cab roofs denote a high pressure engine co at one time?
l know when there were only a few 2000 gpm pumpers for the Satellites they had a little more white below the windshields... it went down to the top of where the bare metal was on the Macks.

Last edited: