FDNY Shops Fuel Truck Giving E205 Fuel at 5th Alarm

Grand work, skylerfire!

Nice to see an auxiliary unit getting the recognition it deserves.  Not among the sexiest, but among the most important.

Does anyone - maybe Chief JK , JohnnyGage or Uncle Willy - know what the procedure for re-fueling apparatus at a job was before FDNY had its own Fuel Truck?  And how about departments other than FDNY - how do you all handle the evolution?  Bill Dennis - any War Stories on that??

Before that present Fuel Unit was put in service there was a regular fuel truck in the FDNY ....GOU 14 "Gasoline & Oil Unit" it was listed on old Alarm Assignment cards.....one day in the '70s there was a multiple in a factory  at Knickerbocker Ave & Bleecker St where foam was used in the cellar on oil  .....later that afternoon when the foam in the cellar was washed away the place re ignited resulting in another multiple....a Friend of mine was working in an ENG & as the JR Man was sent to the Shops for Diesel Fuel for several of the remaining Rigs....the Shops gave him a regular stake bed truck on which they had placed a hand cranked 275 gallon tank just for this job...he was in a hurry to get to the Fire & see what was going on...as he rounded a corner the full tank slid sideways right thru the flimsy wood  & metal sides sides....this bldg with the 2 Multiples in one day was the original Fire bldg a few years later in the Bushwick 10th Alarm in Aug '77....the 83 Pct sits on that spot today.....i remember one time when i was driving R*2 during an extremely busy tour in a snow storm i noticed that the fuel gauge did not seem to be moving even though we had been running all around...about the same time i noticed the gauge i sensed what i felt was the engine stumbling....i didn't want to get stuck out on the road if it stalled so we spotted a Home Heating Delivery fuel truck parked with the driver inside...we got him to pump about ten bucks worth of fuel into the Rig & got to a nearby FH that had Diesel before we stalled. 

manhattan said:
Grand work, skylerfire!

Nice to see an auxiliary unit getting the recognition it deserves.  Not among the sexiest, but among the most important.

Does anyone - maybe Chief JK , JohnnyGage or Uncle Willy - know what the procedure for re-fueling apparatus at a job was before FDNY had its own Fuel Truck?  And how about departments other than FDNY - how do you all handle the evolution?  Bill Dennis - any War Stories on that??

I totally agree with "manhattan". Thank you "skylerfire" for this unusual, rare video and for ALL the other videos you have posted here. You and a few guys like you are out there showing all of us just what is going on.

When we combine the videos, with those who give us the rundowns, the photos of incidents, etc, "we get the total package". We certainly appreciate what you do. In fact, that's probably the reason why many of us are here.

Thank you also Chief JK for your input into of the "GOU 14" rig, as well as the Home Heating Delivery fuel truck story. Truly a "classic story" that few of us have ever experienced.

"manhattan" when it comes to the refueling of rigs in small town Connecticut, we would have a Public Works truck with a hand crank deliver fuel to apparatus that had been pumping for awhile. Most of us don't realize how important they are until we need them.

Thanks "skylerfire" for this unusual video.

I agree with all of the above . . . thank you, "skylerfire" and Chief JK. Great video, and fascinating story, Chief.  I am aware that FDNY has had large fuel trucks for many years (2nd photo below). I assume that these are used to fill the tanks at the various firehouses around the city, right? And here's a still of the rig in the video, too . . . thanks to Scott Berliner for the pictures.

nfd2004 said:
manhattan said:
Grand work, skylerfire!

I totally agree with "manhattan". Thank you "skylerfire" for this unusual, rare video and for ALL the other videos you have posted here. You and a few guys like you are out there showing all of us just what is going on.

When we combine the videos, with those who give us the rundowns, the photos of incidents, etc, "we get the total package". We certainly appreciate what you do. In fact, that's probably the reason why many of us are here.

Thank you also Chief JK for your input into of the "GOU 14" rig, as well as the Home Heating Delivery fuel truck story. Truly a "classic story" that few of us have ever experienced.

"manhattan" when it comes to the refueling of rigs in small town Connecticut, we would have a Public Works truck with a hand crank deliver fuel to apparatus that had been pumping for awhile. Most of us don't realize how important they are until we need them.

Thanks "skylerfire" for this unusual video.

... Agreed for the gratitude & appriciation for this site and its posters / contributors . 

manhattan said:
Grand work, skylerfire!

In my fire department we just call the city for a fuel truck and they will come to the scene and re-fill. We are also supposed to keep the rigs above 3/4 so it would take awhile before it ran out

Ray, the fuel storage tanks at firehouses and EMS stations are filled by an outside vendor contracted to the City. I for get now what the cut-off number was but when we reached that level we would call the fuel desk and request a delivery. Does that help my friend?

Yes, Memory . . . but it makes me wonder what the big fuel trucks are used for if they don't fill the house tanks.

BTW:  Here are 2 more fuel tenders from the past . . . thanks to William Groneman for posting these pictures from the WNYF first issue of 1970:

According to my old Manual of Fire Communications, the bell signal for a special unit was 9, followed by the box, then either 12, 14, or 15 for the Gasoline-Oil Units.

GOU #12 shall respond on special call only in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens.

GOU #14 has no assigned personnel. In the event of simultaneous fires requiring use of a second GOU, the office of AC, Brooklyn, shall provide a chauffeur.

GOU #15 has no assigned personnel. When necessary, the deputy chief. 8th Division, shall provide a chauffeur.

Thanks everybody.  This is why I'm so glad to be back on "The Site! 

Good to "see" you all!