FDNY Squrts

68jk09 said:
kfd274 said:
My original question is still hanging out there:

I would imagine that this was an experiment for FDNY.  Does anyone know the story behind this?  How did E 310 and E 71 make out with these units?

Anybody serve in these companies when they had these rigs?............kfd..I never worked in one of the Squirts  but i think the length of the boom 54 ft as opposed to 75 on a TL & higher w/a Ladderpipe left the stream application point a little low....... also as mentioned above the lack of hosebed space was a consideration .......also the TL which was coming into more widespread play at the time was just all around more versatile due to higher reach of stream & being able to transport persons & equipt up & down.....JMO.

Thank you Chief

KFD

Bulldog said:
fdce54 said:
From seeing E71 back in the day when they were using this Squirt, the one big draw back I noticed about it was the very small hose bed due to the boom and in an area with 5 and 6 story apt buildings including the "H" type walkups, this rig was more of a disadvantage as I saw it.
That's certainly not the type of application they are intended for.  They're quite well suited for single family dwellings, strip malls and as a master stream appliance for large industrial fires.  Like any other piece of firefighting apparatus they do some things very well but all those things quite badly.
It was better suited for E70 and the single family homes on City Island than the apt buildings in the areas of E71 and E43.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
In NYC I saw them put into windows of building where a tower ladder could not fit & personnel were not permitted to enter. I also saw them used on brush fires & rubbish fires.

Eng 154 had the foam squirt & it was used until they developed a foam nozzle that was used on tower ladders. Eng 159 & 160 did not have the Squirt.

Today with a remote camera on the tip of a squirt, I think that they could be moved into a structure & be more usefull in directing the nozzle. It could help with search & rescue operations where a tower ladder can't fit. 

As a side note with no use to this site. I wrote in Firehouse magazine about simultaneous Fifths in Boston. Their computer would not accept squrts, always came up as squirts! 2-14-12 better go as AVAILABLE!!!! Great site, great people male and female. JoAnn love you forever!!!!!!!!!! She reads my posts!

Bulldog

Bulldog
kfd274 said:
Paoli FC '51 Mack w/ 55' Snorkel

That's one weird looking truck!  It doesn't actually look that safe either although I'm sure it is.  That's an awful lot of extra weight for the truck, I'm sure it has to have some major frame modifications and outriggers added to the rear end.

Bulldog said:
kfd274 said:

That's one weird looking truck!  It doesn't actually look that safe either although I'm sure it is.  That's an awful lot of extra weight for the truck, I'm sure it has to have some major frame modifications and outriggers added to the rear end.
In the photo you can see where the outriggers were installed behind the rear wheels. ;)