FDNY

J

JuniorBuff88

How many engines, ladders, and battalions are in service right now in all 5 boroughs?

TN46

208, Engines, 142 Ladders, 49 Battalions, 9 Divisions.  I'm pretty sure I accounted for some of the disbanded companies

J

JuniorBuff88

204 Engines
142 Trucks
7 Squads
5 Rescue's
___ Battalions

catry

For battalions it depends, are you counting specialized battalions like the Rescue Battalion, Safety Battalion, etc.?

J

JuniorBuff88

catry said:
For battalions it depends, are you counting specialized battalions like the Rescue Battalion, Safety Battalion, etc.?

Negative....Only battalions in general... battalion 1 , 2, etc etc

catry

There are 12 in Manhattan, 9 in the Bronx, 3 in SI, 16 in Brooklyn, and 9 in Queens; 49 in total.

vbcapt

2 questions

1st: What's the deal with the Marble Hill Section? Is it considered Manhattan or the Bronx? I looked up a box number and it said Bronx Box 3702, Manhattan.

2nd: This is in regards to the street signs in New York. Some are green/white, brown/white, yellow/black. Does this have any significance or is it just for aesthetic reasons?

catry

vbcapt said:
2 questions

1st: What's the deal with the Marble Hill Section? Is it considered Manhattan or the Bronx? I looked up a box number and it said Bronx Box 3702, Manhattan.

2nd: This is in regards to the street signs in New York. Some are green/white, brown/white, yellow/black. Does this have any significance or is it just for aesthetic reasons?

1. Marble Hill is officially part of Manhattan; however, the first due companies (and battalion chief) to a box there would be from the Bronx.  The nearest Manhattan company, E95/L36, would have to respond in via a bridge.

2. Generally the signs are white on green; different colors usually represent something, such as white on brown in certain historical areas or white on blue along 42nd street.

F

fdce54

Marble Hill is on the Bronx mainland but was part of Manhattan until about 20 years ago when it was officially given back to the Bronx by the city. Marble Hill along with Kingsbridge and Riverdale still maintains the Manhattan street numbering system.

FDNY220122

What about Governers Island is it covered by the FDNY of a volley company i know what rigs they have but whos incharge if there is a fire. In Boston the have something similer and a few guys from the Boston FD cover it on a daily basis.

guitarman314

FDNY220122 said:
What about Governers Island is it covered by the FDNY of a volley company i know what rigs they have but whos incharge if there is a fire. In Boston the have something similer and a few guys from the Boston FD cover it on a daily basis.
  Read this:  http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,348.0.html

L

LFD706

Hi everyone,
I am A  Lt in central Maine and was wandering how the stations in FDNY feel about firefighters from other states visiting and taking pictures of their trucks. I was thinking of a Buff trip to the city this summer. I have done this in Boston with much success. Any insight would be great.
thanks Dave

johnd248

You will find most firehouse very friendly, although it varies from house to house.  Pictures of rigs are usually not a problem. If you go to midtown Manhattan, they can be seen responding and operating fairly often.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The best time to get photos of rigs in Midtown is when they go out for MUD (Training).  Most units go some place which has a lot of room and you can get some shots.  Also it's down with other units so you might be able to get a few rigs and the Battalion.

F

fdonthejob

Dont bother the men. they are very busy. Look for sites online with buffy pics.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
fdonthejob;
Guys don't mind the photos.. I would advoid 10/10 however they just get way to many people.  Like I said before MUD is a great place to get photos.  In Midtown you can also always find rigs on runs.

The best boro/house is the one you work in.