FDNY's New rigs

QUEENS1985 said:
You saw E266's new rig? When did they get it?

Seen it a few times actually... saw it leaving the Shops Annex on Paidge Ave. (I work right next door) and seen it responding to alarms in Rockaway and Broad Channel. They've had that rig for a month or so now.

For those wondering about Squad 18 and TL12, Squad 18 is now operating the 1998 spare ex-SQ41, so that most likely require replacement.  TL12 is now operating a 2002 95'TL ex-L85, ex-BOT.  Not sure if that's a permanent move but if it is they will not require replacement for a few more years.

E

eng1aux415

I was talking to a guy from Ladder 12 he said the replacement truck will probly not be replaced for a long time maybe within the next 4 to 6 years. I was talking to a guy from Squad 18 and he said the FDNY is in the making of the new Squad's, and Squad 18 will be the new proto type demo for the FDNY new Upgrading Squad Companies. I saw a picture it look like Squad 61 but with the new Raise Cabs, and a Rescue / Pumper Back. He also said they are requisting a EQ2B Siren, which i was told by Battalion 7 was approved.

An E-Q2B needs to be approved by Battalion 7?!?!?!? Why would they have anything to do with apporving a siren for a rig...really were do you get this information from?

FDNY220122 said:
An E-Q2B needs to be approved by Battalion 7?!?!?!? Why would they have anything to do with apporving a siren for a rig...really were do you get this information from?

dont even go there  ::) ;D

J

ja488

eng1aux415 said:
I was talking to a guy from Ladder 12 he said the replacement truck will probly not be replaced for a long time maybe within the next 4 to 6 years. I was talking to a guy from Squad 18 and he said the FDNY is in the making of the new Squad's, and Squad 18 will be the new proto type demo for the FDNY new Upgrading Squad Companies. I saw a picture it look like Squad 61 but with the new Raise Cabs, and a Rescue / Pumper Back. He also said they are requisting a EQ2B Siren, which i was told by Battalion 7 was approved.

Tl-12 is using 85's old TL, which was plagued with many problems running 1,740 runs less than 12 did in the year 2007. I personally can't see that truck lasting in the streets of the big city.

As for Sq-18. While specs may have been drawn up, as far as anyone on here knows, nothing has been ordered. There are more reliable people on this site and on the internet buff world with correct info, like Mr. Bendick, Mr. Martinelli, RedLight from the fireengines.net forums etc. That would be able to tell us the details on what is going on with Sq-18's apparatus.
2 points about the EQ2b Siren.
1st) Since about 2005 all the rigs have had that siren, as it's now the siren FDNY uses, so I can't see why a company would need approval for a siren that is currently being spec'ed for all the new apparatus. Mabe 18 was asking for a REAL "Q" Siren, but I don't know.

2nd) I dug through my WNYFs and found the 2/97 issue, before the advent of the current Squad concept, and 18 falls under the 2nd battalion, so I have no idea where you are getting battltion 7 from. Besides, the squads fall under SOC, and would probably have to deal with the Rescue Operations Battalion.

As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't put any stock into what this guy has to say.
JMO, stay safe.

Bulldog

Bulldog
FDNY220122 said:
He said battalion 7 told him it was approved, not approved it. 

When ordered does any one know if the squads are going to look the same except for the new raised roof cab or are the bodys going to have changes also?

Bulldog

Bulldog
116ff60 said:
When ordered does any one know if the squads are going to look the same except for the new raised roof cab or are the bodys going to have changes also?
I heard at one point they were looking at going to true rescue bodys with full height compartments on both sides, through that tank ladder storage, no suction hoses and smaller hose beds.  With all the equipment they now carry they need to maximize their storage capacity so they have as much equipment as possible with them.  I would probably bet they will be 2000gpm pumps though since it appears to be the new standard.

From what your saying bulldog it sounds like what the squads are using now eccept for the ladder.

Bulldog

Bulldog
116ff60 said:
From what your saying bulldog it sounds like what the squads are using now eccept for the ladder.
Pretty much the same, the hose bed maybe a little higher up because of ladder storage and the compartments on the sides could be taller (maybe with top access?) because they don't have to worry about clearance for the ladder rack.  They obviously need as much space as possible without having to go to a second unit for all runs! 

I have seen the squads and the compartment space they have.If you move the ladder some where else they would have 2 coffin compartments that you could put more equipment plus the 2 on the other side top the box on the roof and the other box by the booster tank fill.But looking at the equipment on the squads it doesnt look like they carry alot of equipment on the rig like you would find on a rescue.From what i have seen rope rescue gear,saws,herst tool meters,power and air tools ems gear and haz-mat suits.unless im missing something thats really all i have seen on the squad.