Fire and EMS in same station?

I was looking through the FDNY Operational Reference and noticed that Engine 168 and EMS Station 23 have the same address.  I used Google Earth to look at it, and it appears that both are in the same station.  Is this the only instance of this, or are there others?  Just curious....

mack said:
They do not share the same station.  They are located in the same building but facilities are separate. Same as FDNY firehouses and NYPD precincts that are co-located but separate.

Also, there are several FDNY EMS stations which are located in former firehouses.
I dont know about SI but i have relocated to the Rockaway House & FD & EMS share the whole apparatus floor..the kitchen & many common areas....all are free to walk into any area in the bldg unlike shared FD/PD bldgs where each side is totally separate & have no inside connection.

In my house(168) there is no separation completely intergrated with exception to the bunk room and a few other places within the house that both sides equally respect.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
68 engine had ems station (outpost) on the side of the firehouse back in the day. There was a wall between fire and ems. Closed down when ems station 17 opened in the old 68.

With the push for diversification, etc., can anyone speculate if we will see a reconfiguration on how EMS units are quartrered?  Inasmuch as Commissioner Nigro was an architect of the EMS incorporation into the FDNY, can anyone foresee significant changes in how EMS will work in the future? Thanks!

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Word is changes will start this week, rumors are sometime after the 11th and had heard a date of October. No one can guess what the changes will be at this time.

Anything is possible