Fire Boat alfred E Smith

is the fireboat alfred e smith still around

• Total voters
There was a fire in Mill Basin back in the early 60's at an oil storage facility (I believe it went to a borough call). Marine Co. 8, The Governor Alfred E. Smith responded and was the first boat to arrive. If anyone has photos of The Smith in action at that job, I would really like to see them.

I remember that fire and know the officer of Marine 8 that day later became the Captain of Engine 248 in Flatbush: Bob Lindgren.  After leading the Heart of Flatbush, he was promoted to Battalion Chief and served in the 38th Battalion in Crown Heights.

I believe there was a very good article, with pictures, on the oil yard fire in an issue of WNYF.  I have all of them going back to 1955 and could probably come up with it.

Yes, it's a "cover story" in the 'Spring 1962' issue. The date of the fire was May 10, 1962 and the box transmitted was 4137 with E323 first in.

If I remember right from my conversation with the marine div mechanics. The Al Smith will become a reserve boat with the FF set to go to some museum and the McKeon getting sold to see new life as a tug boat.