fire box numbers?

A

amb

Hi All:
Is there a map somewhere that shows the locations of the Alaram Box numbers?  According to the FDNY article on Wikipedia, "Each address in the city is assigned a box number, based on the closest street, special building or highway box"
I was looking around the new NYC.gov data website and found a "Fire and Medical Response Times FY2009" dataset.  This file identifies Fire and EMS events by their Borough and Alarm Box Number. 
To get this file, go to "http://www.nyc.gov/data", click on "Data Sets" and "Raw Data", pick FDNY from the Agency list and search.
Thanks for the help!
amb

www.fdnewyork.com Frank has a box look up. For the most part, in Manhattan, the further north you go, the higher the box number gets. Same goes for the Bronx with the exception of a couple of spots. To a well trained ear, if you hear a box number go out over the radio, you can tell what neighborhood it's in before the actual address/intersection is announced.

Similarly in Staten Island, the low box numbers are in St. George and they go up as you move toward Tottenville on the other end.  If I recall correctly, boxes numbered in the odd 100's go up along the North Shore, and even 100's on the South Shore.

Boston has the same system for those who monitor. First one or two digits announce the part of the city' for the most part. 120 0-1218 are usually Boston proper.North End, Dowtown, parts of Roxbury/Dorchester  etc. 2100-2199 are Roxbury/Dorchester. 3100-3999 are Dorchester, West Roxbury, Rosindale. 4000 is Charlestown, 5000 Is Brighton/Alliston. 6000 Is East Boston (612 is Logan airport) and  7000 is South Boston. 8200 boxes are mutual aid boxes, companies reponding/covering vacant firehouses in the general area.

There is one anamoly with this. In Manhattan, Brooklyn, Da Bronx and SI, any 8000 series box number is either a limited access Highway, a Bridge, or a special building like a school or hospital. In Queens, they could be a street box, in addition to the other places mentioned.

Many boxes in Queens go up to the 9000's.... there usually is a method to the madness, usually boxes in a series will give the idea of a specific neighborhood. Examples: Queens 7400 and 7500 boxes refer to Western Queens, i.e. Astoria and L.I. City, Queens boxes 1000 through 1400 list The Rockaways, Brooklyn boxes 1100 list Bay Ridge, Brooklyn boxes in the double digits list Greenpoint / Newtown Creek area, so on and so forth. The Fire Alarm Pocket Guide lists them all, I have a lot of the pages marked as to the neighborhoods of specific boxes.

Many municipal buildings (i.e. schools, government buildings) and bridges and highways have boxes assigned in addition to the usual "intersection" boxes, usually beginning with an 8. For example, City Hall is Manhattan Box 8020, FDNY Headquarters is Brooklyn box 8120, Ellis Island is Manhattan Box 8421 and Liberty Island is Manhattan Box 8420. Some locations have multiple boxes, such as the Williamsburg Bridge which has 13 Boxes, the St. George Ferry Terminal which has 12 boxes, and FDNY Academy has 4 boxes. However, not all boxes for municpal/govenrment buildings are in the 8000 series.... Queens box 71 is Rikers Island, and few other exceptions.

Yes, G, but those box numbers coincide to the PAPD Emergency buildings at each airport.