Firefighters Must Use Their Own PTO During Covid or Quarantine

nfd2004

Some fire departments are requiring their firefighters to use their own PTO if they contact Covid or if they must Quarantine.

Such is the case in my home town where the City Fire Union IAFF 892 has filed a state labor complaint over the city's COVIC-19 policies.

The union states the firefighters must use their own PTO if they are exposed to the COVID-19 virus on the job.

The union gave nearly a dozen examples of firefighters who were exposed to the coronavirus and forced quarantine or contracted the virus through an exposure at work.

The Union President estimated Norwich Firefighters have had 112 coronavirus exposures or COVID-19 since the pandemic began, with some of those being firefighters who "did the right thing" and stayed home rather than expose fellow firefighters after an exposure.

In addition he states that during the early months of the pandemic, personal protective equipment that was meant to be one time use was being used multiple times on multiple incidents by firefighters.

I am aware of one major city in which such a policy of using members PTO for exposure was enforced. The result being, rather than use their PTO the firefighters reported for duty. As a result, all of the members of that firehouse contacted COVID.

Of course it's not only firefighters but police officers, EMTs/Medics of both public and private ambulance companies, as well as volunteer firefighters, who could be dealing with such issues.

Your thoughts and how does your organization deal with this serious concern.

raybrag

"PTO"? Am I just dumb? Don't answer that, Willy, Frank or Brad. Did you mean "PPE"?

68jk09

The meaning ? .......if thats the question = Gran Turisimo Oblogata

twoteamtease

This is PRECISELY what the IAFF is supposed to intervene on. Hopefully they are on the case and this is reversed QUICKLY.

nfd2004

This is PRECISELY what the IAFF is supposed to intervene on. Hopefully they are on the case and this is reversed QUICKLY.

This case is scheduled to be heard on September 1st through "binding arbitration".

It could set a precedence for other fire departments as well.

Perhaps it could also set a precedence for volunteer firefighters too.

As a decision is made, I will try to keep the members here advised.

nfd2004

Some fire departments are requiring their firefighters to use their own PTO if they contact Covid or if they must Quarantine.

Such is the case in my home town where the City Fire Union IAFF 892 has filed a state labor complaint over the city's COVIC-19 policies.

The union states the firefighters must use their own PTO if they are exposed to the COVID-19 virus on the job.

The union gave nearly a dozen examples of firefighters who were exposed to the coronavirus and forced quarantine or contracted the virus through an exposure at work.

The Union President estimated Norwich Firefighters have had 112 coronavirus exposures or COVID-19 since the pandemic began, with some of those being firefighters who "did the right thing" and stayed home rather than expose fellow firefighters after an exposure.

In addition he states that during the early months of the pandemic, personal protective equipment that was meant to be one time use was being used multiple times on multiple incidents by firefighters.

I am aware of one major city in which such a policy of using members PTO for exposure was enforced. The result being, rather than use their PTO the firefighters reported for duty. As a result, all of the members of that firehouse contacted COVID.

Of course it's not only firefighters but police officers, EMTs/Medics of both public and private ambulance companies, as well as volunteer firefighters, who could be dealing with such issues.

Your thoughts and how does your organization deal with this serious concern.

Norwich Police have now joined the firefighters regarding this Covid policy

www.theday.com/local-news/20210830/norwich-police-firefighters-press-city-leaders-to-reverse-policy-on-covid-19-time-off