First due areas

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
A large 1st or 2nd due respose area was E 164/L 84 pre-1960. They responded to boxes from the most southern part of Tottenville all the way to Great Kills, Fresh Kills, Charleston. Just about the entire South Shore. Their housewatch was surrounded with response boxes, to include many dummy boxes for projected streets which still had not been completed. E 165, 166, 167, 168 L 85, 86, 87 were eventually organized, but 164/84 still has large response areas. E151/L 76, E 165/L 85 have large response areas.
The same would hold true for Eng 163 & Lad 83 heading south prior to the establishment of Eng's 154, 165, 166, 167, & 168 along with Lad's 85, 86, & 87.

In relation to the response area discussion, I have a question...

In my department, we carry map books for our first due area and all companies that border our district. In addition, we have a "transfer" map book in the station watch office for a fill-in/relocator/transfer company to use/carry while covering. Our maps have all first due streets and pertinent info for buildings and hazards in our area. The regular assigned crews know the area but there are days where the entire Engine/Ladder crew is off. Our maps provide valuable resource for covering FF's and Officers. How does the FDNY handle this issue? Do companies carry detailed maps in their rigs? Maps on MDT? With a city a vast as NYC, it's near impossible to know every street, alley, goat path, rabbit hole and interrupted blocks. So, hypothetically, If Engine 253 relocates to E168, How do they reference the area for basic information and navigation while there?

Roofman4

Just curious but how large is City Island, E-70/L53? I know it does not come close to the other areas mentioned.

In my department, we carry map books for our first due area and all companies that border our district. In addition, we have a "transfer" map book in the station watch office for a fill-in/relocator/transfer company to use/carry while covering. Our maps have all first due streets and pertinent info for buildings and hazards in our area. The regular assigned crews know the area but there are days where the entire Engine/Ladder crew is off. Our maps provide valuable resource for covering FF's and Officers. How does the FDNY handle this issue? Do companies carry detailed maps in their rigs? Maps on MDT? With a city a vast as NYC, it's near impossible to know every street, alley, goat path, rabbit hole and interrupted blocks. So, hypothetically, If Engine 253 relocates to E168, How do they reference the area for basic information and navigation while there?

Roofman4
Roofman Im sure i read recently (not sure if on here or on social media) that there used to be relocator cards which gave relocating companies information on boxes for the company they related to

The officers were responsible for keeping those cards up to date

They may not be a thing anymore with the fact you have cell phones and sat nav in Engines and Trucks and you can call up the Dispatcher for CIDS info

Roofman4
All the MDTs have GPS which automatically starts when a job is assigned. Usually they're not used but handy in a pinch like you are describing.