First Due Batallion Chief:Going With Your Instinct

Up and down the ranks instinct plays a big survival part. As a Captain had a restaurant fire, 1st due engine (82). Truck forced the door, long hallway to main dining area. As we start to go in, instinct says "hold up." Hold my guys. Backdraft 5 seconds later. Guys ask me how did you know. Didn't, just a feeling. As a deputy respond to a factory fire in Brooklyn, 2nd alarm in. Wide avenue. Pull up and as getting out of car see engine with line into building thru overhead door, truck on the roof. Mezzanine type, half floor halfway into building. Heavy fire thru roof. Battalion Chief running by. I yell to him "get the line out of the building, and get the truck off the roof." No arguement. As I finish putting my gear on the engine has backed the line out and the last truckie is getting on the aerial. The roof collapses, knocks the engine down now on the sidewalk. Fire went to a 4th. May have lost 6 or 7 men if not pulled out at that exact time. Why, don't know, just a feeling. Usually a great move. Had a fire cellar of store as a BC in Manhattan. Pop cellar doors and start line down. Yellow blue smoke, don't like it. Back line out. Find out later color was from plastic bags stored in cellar. Line could have knocked it down. Didn't. Fire went to a 4th, building completely burned out. Win some. lose some. But the most important thing is, everyone went home. Building was rebuilt, looked great. Go with your instincts.

Thank you for that and for your instinct. Would love to read more of your stories/memories since sounds like you had some time on, again thank you. Rob

rdm258 said:
Thank you for that and for your instinct. Would love to read more of your stories/memories since sounds like you had some time on, again thank you. Rob

Yes "******"defiantly had some time on and also is "Top Shelf"

mikeindabronx said:
rdm258 said:

Yes "******"defiantly had some time on and also is "Top Shelf"

Mike, you sure are right about that. Good to hear from "******" again.

An experienced chief's instincts sure can be dead on.

Maybe some of you remember the Colonial Mansion on Bath Avenue in Brooklyn fire back in the 70's...
A friend and I were buffing around downtown Brooklyn when we heard the box come over the air.
After what seemed like a long long time we heard nothing on the radio and agreed "they are probably "dicking around" with something and since there was nothing happening on the north end of Brooklyn we decided to drift on over to Bath Beach.    Right behind us arrived a chief officer... might have been the deputy. 

There were just vague wisps of smoke outside the building.  I saw the chief walk in the front door of the catering hall... and I'll never forget this...and after two or three steps inside he abruptly wheeled around, pointed to his aide and shouted "second alarm".

Boy was he right.  It went to at least a 4th before the night was out.  Might have even been a 5th... but that was 30-40 years ago, so please forgive the memory lapse.

Great lesson to be learned ! Thanks . . .

For me as a starting firefighter it's important to study a lot, but also to experience even more.

I understand now that every time there's a job to be done it's not only a job, but I will also have my instinct growing every time.
After a while I hope to be able to rely on my instinct as wel.

mack

Administrator
It's more than instinct.  That is really a modest term to summarize experience, intelligence, training, decisionmaking skills, guts, taking care of your guys, leadership, ability to see the big picture fast, leading from the front.

****** was obviously the firefighter, lieutenant, captain or chief you wanted to be working with you when you worked - real first class instinct.