FLAG DAY 2020...JUNE 14.

manhattan

Thanks for posting this, Chief. Flag Day should be a national holiday and it's a disgrace that so few people even know that such an observance exists.

68jk09

Today was Flag Day 2020...i had my small Flag on a plastic mast attached to the rear window of my truck.....i went from North Queens to the far end of Staten Island & back .....we did not see ONE other vehicle displaying an American Flag on a vehicle (other than an E&T on the Belt on a Run) ?

68jk09

POST FLAG DAY....THANK YOU TO THE AMERICANS WHO STOOD UP TO THESE SCUMBAGS...... 5 Minute video.....

Lebby

So my unit has for years had an American flag mounted to the back of the bus, bought by our senior man a proud immigrant, now US citizen from Poland. On flag day whilst sitting 89 on our street corner, it was unfortunately cut off with a knife, never to be seen again.

68jk09

Lebby i do not know if it was from your Unit but on Flag Day i saw a post on another site of 2 brass rings that were all that was left of an American Flag cut off the rear of an FDNY EMS Rig.........i do not know how to repost it here ...disgusting.

Lebby

If you're referring to the GroupMe, then yes that was also my post.

68jk09

OK that was a very disheartening thing to happen to you .....Disgusting times....Hang in there.

nfd2004

Lebby i do not know if it was from your Unit but on Flag Day i saw a post on another site of 2 brass rings that were all that was left of an American Flag cut off the rear of an FDNY EMS Rig.........i do not know how to repost it here ...disgusting.
"Lebby", Philip D, after reading what happened to this American Flag, one member of this site contacted me to say that he has an American Flag that he would like to donate to replace the flag on the back of your rig that was destroyed.

That member we know as "manhattan", aka Frank M.

Of course we know that Frank has organized the Veterans Day Ceremony in lower Manhattan every year. Frank also has been heavily involved in the annual Father Judge Walk.

In addition to this, Frank has also mentioned to me that he has started a fund raising campaign to raise about $3,000 to buy meals ( for about 180 people) for all the tours of his local police precinct. He wanted to know if it's okay to post that on this site. He is NOT collecting the money himself but would like to have those donations sent to the local restaurant.

I would also add that Frank would also like to do the same for the members of his neighborhood firehouse as well as local EMS station.

Well Frank, as it stands you got the okay from me. I will also forward your email that you sent me to "lebby" regarding the American Flag donation. As well your request on the donations to buy those 180 meals in appreciation for what those local NYPD members do. I will forward your email to our site administrators, John and Tommy Bendick, and moderator "mack", aka Joe Materia.

Frank, you have done so much for others. I know that both the NYPD and the FDNY have a very high amount of respect for you. That is also true for the Military Veterans who know you.

I am HONORED to consider you a friend. This site is viewed by firefighters and buffs from across the world. Including many members of the military as well as police departments.

We have young individuals like "lebby" who responded during the darkest days of the COVID 19 pandemic doing their best to save lives throughout NYC. People like "lebby" continue to do that every minute of the day throughout our country.

The NYPD has been there for me. During my buffing days in some of NYCs toughest streets. They've been there for me in my visits to friends in NYC. I too appreciate the job they do.

For me, "I've said this before", "I am HONORED to be a part of this website", and to have many friends, which is made up of heroes, frontline workers, and good people right across the board.

So I'll forward that email from Frank "manhattan" ASAP.

Last edited:

nfd2004

POST FLAG DAY....THANK YOU TO THE AMERICANS WHO STOOD UP TO THESE SCUMBAGS...... 5 Minute video.....
THANK YOU Chief for posting this video of "Cop Saves American Flag". A FLAG that people like you and thousands of others like you fought for. Thousands suffered for and some died for.

Like so many others here, "my father fought for that Flag too". Just like the thousands of others who fought, suffered and even died for. Later in America, they were known as "The Greatest Generation".

A Korean War Veteran friend of mine who is now 92 years old, is paying the price of a lifetime of pain after receiving frostbite to his feet while fighting for us.

These days I watch what is going on. Sadly, we are now a country divided, fighting among each other. Is that how we show our appreciation for all those who have paid such a steep price ?

Is that our response to the people of this country who have lost their loved ones - fighting for our freedom ?

We have members here who fought for all of us. Is this the way to say "Thank You" ?

Lebby

"Lebby", Philip D, after reading what happened to this American Flag, one member of this site contacted me to say that he has an American Flag that he would like to donate to replace the flag on the back of your rig that was destroyed.

That member we know as "manhattan", aka Frank M.

Of course we know that Frank has organized the Veterans Day Ceremony in lower Manhattan every year. Frank also has been heavily involved in the annual Father Judge Walk.

In addition to this, Frank has also mentioned to me that he has started a fund raising campaign to raise about $3,000 to buy meals ( for about 180 people) for all the tours of his local police precinct. He wanted to know if it's okay to post that on this site. He is NOT collecting the money himself but would like to have those donations sent to the local restaurant.

I would also add that Frank would also like to do the same for the members of his neighborhood firehouse as well as local EMS station.

Well Frank, as it stands you got the okay from me. I will also forward your email that you sent me to "lebby" regarding the American Flag donation. As well your request on the donations to buy those 180 meals in appreciation for what those local NYPD members do. I will forward your email to our site administrators, John and Tommy Bendick, and moderator "mack", aka Joe Materia.

Frank, you have done so much for others. I know that both the NYPD and the FDNY have a very high amount of respect for you. That is also true for the Military Veterans who know you.

I am HONORED to consider you a friend. This site is viewed by firefighters and buffs from across the world. Including many members of the military as well as police departments.

We have young individuals like "lebby" who responded during the darkest days of the COVID 19 pandemic doing their best to save lives throughout NYC. People like "lebby" continue to do that every minute of the day throughout our country.

The NYPD has been there for me. During my buffing days in some of NYCs toughest streets. They've been there for me in my visits to friends in NYC. I too appreciate the job they do.

For me, "I've said this before", "I am HONORED to be a part of this website", and to have many friends, which is made up of heroes, frontline workers, and good people right across the board.

So I'll forward that email from Frank "manhattan" ASAP.
I'm touched by the members of this sites dedication and sense of duty. I'll be responding to that very generous email shortly.

firebuffkevin

I fly my flag everyday on the front of my house. Our family has always flown the American, and us "kids" were taught well by my Irish immigrant father and Uncle.

When we were kids my Uncle Barnie made a flagpole for the yard out of galvanized plumbing pipe. we dug a hole the size of a Homer bucket, mixed the cement and inserted an 8-10 foot piece of 1 and 3/4 inch pipe. Then placed a reducer on it, and put in an 8 foot piece of 1 and 1/4 pipe. then another reducer and 3/4 pipe, topped off by a cap with a copper tank ball on top. Drilled holes with a hand drill and put in the pulleys for the rope to be able to raise and lower the flag. Obviously it was a life changing experience that I remember. When we moved my Dad placed the flag outside the front of his house everyday, and we folded that flag into the tri corner George Washington hat with only the blue field and stars showing, and placed it in his casket for his funeral. These men were great immigrants who loved America. God Bless them both.

Lebby

A happy ending to a sad story, after posting on the site about losing our flag, member manhattan reached out and send us a new flag. (In return I sent a few tokens of our appreciation) Unfortunately, our bus was out for Preventative Maintenance aka PM for most of the Summer. But, it has since returned and proudly displaying our new flag. I'll post pictures when the issue with the site is resolved. Thanks again to manhattan, a true friend of the FDNY.