flares

BCR

Light a couple flares, if the caps are frozen you just work the flame around the threads the same way you would use a torch, if the barrel is frozen you pretty much drop them in

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
Light a couple flares, if the caps are frozen you just work the flame around the threads the same way you would use a torch, if the barrel is frozen you pretty much drop them in
BCR provided some good recommendations, pretty much what I've also done in the past. I've never had much luck thawing the barrel of a hydrant but they work great for threads!

I'm not so sure that dropping them into the barrel is a good idea but it may work. We've always tried to put several flares around the barrel heating it for the outside. If anybody had any good luck putting the flares inside? You would certainly have to flush hydrant really good if it did work to ensure that you didn't get a debris into your pump.

Thanks...How many flares to thaw a barrel? How long does it take? Seems like the perfect situation for a purpose built propane powered rig that would transfer heat more effectively.

For your own safety, ALWAYS strike a flare away from you. A bit of hot sulfur hitting your skin can burn to the bone and sulfur to the eyes can cause blindness. Be very, very careful and of course strike with the wind to your back.

I'll never forget my first working fire -- it was so cold that the hose froze to the road before we could load it into the hosebed.  :mad:

I suggested bringing the kerosene-fired steam cleaner out from the firehouse to thaw the hose -- apparently that had never occurred to them.  It took awhile, but at least we didn't have to wait for spring thaw.  :) 

Lol..I'm very well aware of thawing units. If they worked so well, why would you need flares? I was thinking of a 20-30 pound heating unit that could be tossed up on the hose bed when frozen hydrants are likely.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Brooklynalex32 said:
That's what the thawing units are for entropychaser
That's true for FDNY but very few fire departments have thawing units. Those units have to have other ways to thaw frozen hydrants and equipment.