Governors Island Badge

Signal73

6 years ago I was testing fire alarms at Greenwich High School and this was in a case in one of the rooms.

Figure Id share this photo that popped up on my memories on Facebook

6092732C-D63D-4901-BFFC-515952807B88.jpeg

JohnnyGage

There was a single firehouse on Gov Island in the middle of the property. I can't recall the make, but I remember they had a beat up lime green rig. I went over to see it with a detail of FDNY guys when it was being discussed as being turned over to FDNY, all the buildings were vacant, many large apartment structures, houses, old McDonalds of some sort, etc, now completely vacant. At the time they were operating as Federal FF, there was maybe five per tour, working 24 hour shift and had to bring their food over from the mainland, one ferry. Almost zero fire duty, but I remember one of the guys said they did alot of water leaks. The FDNY has now taken over and have used the vacant structures for fire test such as "wind driven" fires, I believe the firehouse I was in was knocked down and the rigs run out of a garage near the ferry terminal.

This would be a great history feature I think we should pass along to Mack and JK.!

mack

Dan - I agree. I will do some research and pull something together. Thanks.

jtsjc1

On pages 226-227 in the book Badges Of The Bravest there is a picture of this and other Federal FF badges with some background info.

Disp51

Another former federal FD was Naval Air Station, NY (Floyd Bennett Field) in Brooklyn. The department was a mix of navy personnel and federal civilian firefighters, with a civilian chief. While the navy members did all runway standbys whenever planes were either taking off or landing, the civilian members stood "housewatch", as well as nightly fire security checks of the buildings on the NAS side of the base. An unusual aspect of their responsibility was to maintain the arresting gear on the runway. Since the base flew planes that were designed to be carrier based (both Navy and Marine) steel cables which could be used in an emergency via the planes tail hook were stretched across the main runway. These were attached to long lengths of anchor chain whose drag would stop the aircraft.NASNY Patch.jpeg