HazMat 1 Question?

What is the staffing for HM 1? Does the HM Batt also have an aid, thank you?

HCO

Hazmat Company 1 has an officer and seven firefighters on each tour.  That staffing level is based on basic hazmat unit operations calling for one Officer, one Resource, two Entry, two Backup, and two Decon positions.

Resource???? What is a resource position used or in a Hazmat operation? wouldn't the battalion chief be responsible for this?

I believe the resource position would be the Firefighter that handles retrieving /reviewing data on the substance that has been spllied/leaked etc. That's what it is in my Dept.

vbcapt said:
I believe the resource position would be the Firefighter that handles retrieving /reviewing data on the substance that has been spllied/leaked etc. That's what it is in my Dept.

And that is what he does here. They have computers on the rig with internet access as well as a very large database of chemicals and how to properly respond to to a spill. The resource firefighter will also do some lab work and identify what an unknown substance is.

What other resue equipment does HAZMAT carry? We only carry deconn equipment, entry suits, etc. no extraction gear at all. Thats why we have truck companies and rescue companies out here. Im hoping to take the HAZMAT tech class soon.

As far as i know Hazmat 1 does not carry any form of extraction equipment, thier role is hazmat, and detection, identification, monitoring and control of any substance, what ever it may be. A very well equiped, highly skilled, and dedicated bunch of chaps.

JT

Actually, Hazmat does carry a full Hurst Tool set. I believe the last time they put it to work was at an overturn on Hylan Blvd and Midland Ave in Staten Island while returning from a box down on the south shore.

Looks like they might have one on top of the big rig. They do carry at least one full set of extrication tools, maybe 2.

High & low pressure air bags &  a set of very large wrenches which can come in handy at industrial accidents involving large machinery or equiptment that may have to be dismantled.