Hazmat 1's new 2nd piece

Is Hazmat 1 using their new 2nd piece?  It was delivered a while ago but have not seen them using it.  Anyone know why?

Rich@36 said:
Went back to factory.  windshield kept falling out

I believe back in the 90's the Seagrave Tower Ladders (single front tormentor) had a problem with windshields popping out when setting up for bucket operations ...

Bulldog

Bulldog
69 METS said:
Rich@36 said:
Went back to factory.  windshield kept falling out

I believe back in the 90's the Seagrave Tower Ladders (single front tormentor) had a problem with windshields popping out when setting up for bucket operations ...
If I remember correctly, the problems with the Seagrave Towers was that the front of the cab flexed when the center Jack was deployed.  Something like that certainly shouldn't be the problem with the 2nd piece for the Hazmat considering it doesn't have any stabilization jacks.  It would have to be a problem with the actual design of the chassis/cab not being rigid enough!

BCR

I can see how there might be a problem with towers because of flexing when you use the tormentors ( it should not happen but I can see how it might) a standard type cab has no excuses for a windshield popping out

Seems to me it would be either the cab cutout or the glass out of spec (in any event, a quality control issue).  :mad: :-[

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
Seems to me it would be either the cab cutout or the glass out of spec (in any event, a quality control issue).  :mad: :-[
I forget what chassis this unit was built on, wasn't the same custom one in the rescues?  If it was something different in the 1st of a kind could possibly be a design issue with how the interface between the glass and cab was designed.

BCR

I think it is called the ultra cab ??? Same one on the new ladders rescues and hazmat 1's main piece, hopefully this is a one time issue and not something that will start happening to all the other rigs

Bulldog

Bulldog
Buff9663 said:
Not hearing anything, probably not anytime soon.
One would have thought that this would be a relatively quick fix.  It's now been about 3 months.  They must be having to reengineer something completely to solve the problem.

BCR

It appears the cab is the same as the rescues, hazmat 1 main unit and truck company's. With there being the problem with this particular unit I'm guessing something happened during the build and something is slightly out of spec. I am sure there is probably some back and forth on how it will be fixed and both sides not agreeing on how . This is just purely a guess but if it was just a windshield that's my guess.  I would imagine that the current second piece is pretty worn down, the unit was one of the units donated after 9/11 and the main unit has bees replaced twice already I think.  I'm sure they could use a backup second piece as well, does anyone know if the old second piece is still around? I know at one point they had a fully stocked reserve main and second piece as well as spare main piece. I think the reserve second piece was used as the spare for the second piece when it went down but I haven't seen it in awhile. I think it was a crew cab international very similar to squad 1's old TRV. I think I read somewhere that the old  2nd piece and the old TRV were originally purchased as salvage units but those units were disbanded or something.

guys at hazmat were saying that a 2nd second piece is on order and it will be marked up as hazmat 2, but will be used for special events and as a spare.

BCR

That would be a good a idea, not really a suprise either, seeing they bought not to long ago a battalion vehicle and labeled it up as hazmat 2.