Historical Hose and Nozzle Question...

(Apologies if this has been asked before, or posted in the wrong forum..)

Hello all,

I've been doing some reading about hoselines, nozzles and flows, and I recently read an article regarding the development of 1-3/4" hose.

From my understanding, 1-3/4" was developed along with the Rapid Water system to obtain flows similar to 2.5" hose without the weight and harder handling of the larger hose given the amount of fires being fought in New York the 60's and 70's. While 2.5" continues to be used, 1-3/4" hose has replaced the smaller 1-1/2".

My question is regarding the use of 1-1/2" hose. Most of my reading material states that there was restrictions on its use as it had a low flow, and 2.5" hose was used for the bulk of fire attack.

How was 1-1/2" actually used in the FDNY? Was it just limited to overhaul and small fires? What nozzles were used on it?

Thanks.

1-1/2" hose was used in the 60's and early 70's until the introduction of 1-3/4" hose. The 1-1/2" was on the hosebed and also as rolled ups for standpipe use. Most of the time it was the initial stretch from the rig unless the volume of fire necessitated using 2-1/2". The nozzle I remember on the 1-1/2" was the SOS (Select O Stream) made by Elkhart.