Hurricane Ian Response

From the National US&R Response System:

Virginia Task Force 1 (VA-TF1), Virginia Task Force 2 (VA-TF2) including 3 firefighters from Newport News, and Ohio Task Force 1 (OH-TF1) have all been activated as type IIIs for the Hurricane Ian response. Type III task force teams are made up of 35+ personnel along with a cache of equipment to include vehicles and semis to support/transport them while deployed. Task forces pack personal gear and equipment to last up to, if not longer, than 14 days per deployment. Wishing all task forces a very safe journey!

As this hurricane approaches, which I'm hearing one of the worst to hit Florida in the last 10 years, we want to keep all those in it's path in our prayers.

I know that we have several members from this web site who live in the area to be hit.

Also, THANK YOU "raybrag" for your info regarding the preparations in progress regarding the National US&R Response Teams.

Members who might not be aware; "raybrag" is a U.S. Airforce high ranking officer whose dangerous duty it was to fly into areas that were facing upcoming hurricanes and serious weather related conditions to help prepare us for the possible dangers we could face.

From the National US&R Response System:

Virginia Task Force 1 (VA-TF1), Virginia Task Force 2 (VA-TF2) including 3 firefighters from Newport News, and Ohio Task Force 1 (OH-TF1) have all been activated as type IIIs for the Hurricane Ian response. Type III task force teams are made up of 35+ personnel along with a cache of equipment to include vehicles and semis to support/transport them while deployed. Task forces pack personal gear and equipment to last up to, if not longer, than 14 days per deployment. Wishing all task forces a very safe journey!
In the early 2000's, I was told that Ohio Task Force 1 was stood up for deployment after a hurricane in Puerto Rico. They were saddled up, in the airplane, and at the end of the runway (Wright-Patterson AFB ?), when then New York US Senator Hillary Clinton got FEMA to cancel the assignment so that New York Task Force1 could go instead. True? Not True?

Bulldog

Bulldog
In the early 2000's, I was told that Ohio Task Force 1 was stood up for deployment after a hurricane in Puerto Rico. They were saddled up, in the airplane, and at the end of the runway (Wright-Patterson AFB ?), when then New York US Senator Hillary Clinton got FEMA to cancel the assignment so that New York Task Force1 could go instead. True? Not True?
Not sure if it's true or not but it certainly sounds like something Hilary would do!

FEMA gearing up . Texas Task Force 1 now mobilized for Florida. And, Of course, the Cajun Navy is getting the pirogues ready as pure lagniappe!

All their gear is basically on base and packaged for C-17 transport since that’s what they fly at Wright-Patt. I could see Hillary doing this, but all the guys I know on the team would have gotten on after this timeframe for me to confirm.

RCL

Right now there are 5 Fl Type 1 USAR TF in Florida out of the 8 activated, with 3 Federal Teams standing by in Ga. Also, theres a 37 Ambulance Strike Team from Tennessee standing by.

I live in Central Florida near Legoland and Ian is supposed to go near or over my head. From everything Im seeing there main issue is where it lands. Because of the way that Tampa Bay is situated, the storm surge could potentially push a wall of water into the bay and basically flood the city with up to 10 feet of water.
If the storm stays further south, then the impact will be lessened on the Tampa area.
The next big issue, is the amount of water its expected to drop, onto already saturated areas. Some reports are saying between 10 to 15 inches of rain is possible.
The good news is that it is supposedly going to rapid lose strength when it makes landfall. Last reports I looked at were sating gusting to 60 mph with maybe 3 inches of rain where I am.

Right now there are 5 Fl Type 1 USAR TF in Florida out of the 8 activated, with 3 Federal Teams standing by in Ga. Also, theres a 37 Ambulance Strike Team from Tennessee standing by.

I live in Central Florida near Legoland and Ian is supposed to go near or over my head. From everything Im seeing there main issue is where it lands. Because of the way that Tampa Bay is situated, the storm surge could potentially push a wall of water into the bay and basically flood the city with up to 10 feet of water.
If the storm stays further south, then the impact will be lessened on the Tampa area.
The next big issue, is the amount of water its expected to drop, onto already saturated areas. Some reports are saying between 10 to 15 inches of rain is possible.
The good news is that it is supposedly going to rapid lose strength when it makes landfall. Last reports I looked at were sating gusting to 60 mph with maybe 3 inches of rain where I am.
Respect the storm surge. In Hurricane Ike, salt-water drownings were found up to 25 miles inland. Remember that rainfall varies inversely with forward storm speed. Hopefully, all the first responder "ride-out" crews are buttoned up on high ground and ready to go as soon as winds subside below 45 miles-per-hour. Stay Safe!

RCL

Respect the storm surge. In Hurricane Ike, salt-water drownings were found up to 25 miles inland. Remember that rainfall varies inversely with forward storm speed. Hopefully, all the first responder "ride-out" crews are buttoned up on high ground and ready to go as soon as winds subside below 45 miles-per-hour. Stay Safe!
I know. I was born in NYC in Queens on a canal. It wasn't uncommon for us to have 30+ inches of salt water in our basement and basically everything from 156th Ave south to 165 Avenue and from 104th street to 96th street would be under 4 feet of water during storms and hurricanes.

My dad works at The Orange County Convention Center in Orl and he said there's 300 private ambulances, a bunch of military and medical helicopters, in the hall right now. He sent me some pics from the halls.

Attachments

• 22974.jpeg
    22974.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 22978.jpeg
    22978.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 22976.jpeg
    22976.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 16
35 Additional firefighters deployed today to augment Virginia Task Force 2. They included firefighters from Chesapeake Fire Department, Hampton Fire Rescue, Henrico County Division of Fire, James City County Fire Department, Newport News Fire Department, Norfolk Fire-Rescue, Portsmouth Fire Rescue & Emergency Services, City of Suffolk Department of Fire & Rescue, Williamsburg Fire Department and York County Department of Fire and Life Safety