JERSEY CITY NJ 3RD ALARM 3 BUILDINGS 5/25/22

mack

Administrator
Logan Avenue three-alarm fire

A three-alarm fire ripped through three buildings on Logan Avenue in Jersey City, Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Three-alarm fire displaces 25 in Jersey City​

Updated: May. 21, 2016, 4:39 p.m. | Published: May. 21, 2016, 3:39 p.m.

By Nancy Benecki-Hawkins | The Jersey Journal
JERSEY CITY - A three-alarm fire that broke out on Ege Avenue this morning displaced 25 people, but it is now under control, according to the Jersey City Fire Department.

The fire broke out in the rear of 193 A Ege Ave. and spread to the homes on each side of the building at 193 and 195 Ege Ave., according to Jersey City Fire Department Deputy Chief Mike Terpak.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters, but a search was on for a missing pet, Terpak said.

This is the third large fire in Jersey City this week. One man was killed in a fire on West Side Avenue on Wednesday, and nearly 40 people were displaced after a large fire on Neptune and Garfield avenues on Monday.

The Red Cross was on the scene to assist those displaced by today's fire. Four dogs and two cats were also displaced.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, according to the fire department.

The fire caused extensive damage to the rear of all three buildings, according to Deputy Chief Rich Lapinski, also the fire department's chief of staff.

The three damaged homes are two-story wooden framed private dwellings, Lapinski said.

Minor exterior damaged spread to 191, 197 and 199 Ege Ave as well, he said.

There was possible construction work happening on the first floor of 193 A Ege Ave., which is under investigation by the Jersey City Arson Unit, Lapinski said.

"Fire officials were called in to investigate if the construction was legal or illegal," he said.

Will Yorker, who lives at 189 Ege Ave., was temporarily evacuated from his home with his family.

"I came out and heard all the commotion," he said. "The fire department said, 'You guys need to get out of here.' I went downstairs to grab my girl and went outside."

Their home did not have any damage, according to Renee Yorker, who owns the home.

Victoria Bugarin lives at 191 Ege Ave. and said the fire department also evacuated the five members of her family.

"We were eating, and then my son's girlfriend went outside because the dogs were barking," Bugarin said. "She saw the fire."

Bugarin's son Jason had gauze wrapped around his arm and hand from an injury he sustained while saving the family's cat, Wowee.

"Everyone was screaming, and cats just hide," he said. "I was going all over the house looking for him. I found him on the side of the house. I could feel the heat, too."

Last edited: