L 31 Legend Charlie McCarthy

JohnnyGage

Posted on facebook; L 31 War Years Legend Charlie McCarthy has suffered a massive stroke, he is being moved into a hospice at this time.

I rode between Charlie and Capt. Farrell many times as a young lad buffing with L 31's tiller rig during the early 70's. I remember Charlie vividly as a character who loved breaking chops and always had a funny remark. Charlie epitomized the South Bronx truckie. Prayers for him and his family.

skiLB

Posted on facebook; L 31 War Years Legend Charlie McCarthy has suffered a massive stroke, he is being moved into a hospice at this time.

I rode between Charlie and Capt. Farrell many times as a young lad buffing with L 31's tiller rig during the early 70's. I remember Charlie vividly as a character who loved breaking chops and always had a funny remark. Charlie epitomized the South Bronx truckie. Prayers for him and his family.
Prayers to Charlie & his family were all thinking of you brother.

1261Truckie

Prayers for Charlie McCarthy and his families at home and on the job. A true legend and War Years Warrior.

JohnnyGage

Just heard that Charlie McCarthy, the L 31 War Years Legend has died. May he be blessed with eternal rest. Charlie was a funny character, Heaven will never be the same!

Charlie2.jpg

Last edited:

nfd2004

Just heard that Charlie McCarthy, the L 31 War Years Legend has died. May he be blessed with eternal rest. Charlie was a funny character, Heaven will never be the same!

This is very sad news.

I have never met Charlie McCarthy, but I know that he was a true legend within the FDNY.

Just about everyday we are hearing of "Another FDNY War Years Member Passes" as faithfully posted by Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas.

I don't think we will ever see another generation of firefighters that has fought MORE FIRES in their entire career than those who served during the so called FDNY War Years, and as we know, Ladder 31 was right on the front lines as those very busy years began.

Dan (Johnny Gage), my condolences on the loss of your good friend and Brother Firefighter Charlie McCarthy, and to his many other Brother Firefighters, friends and family members.

May he Rest in Peace.

jtsjc1

Rest In Peace Sir. Thank you for your years of public service. Sympathy to his family.

fdce54

Sad news. May he Rest in Peace. Prayers and comfort for his family.

68jk09

A WAR YEARS LAD*31 FF..... REST IN PEACE BROTHER....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.......I recd this message from a good friend Jim Regan from Chicago this morning.... QUOTE..."Sad News" This morning I viewed a post from Michael P Valenzano reporting that Lt Charlie McCarthy has passed away after a brief illness. I'm sure that many of you that worked with Charlie can reflect on the great and dangerous times you shared in the South Bronx. On a personal note over the last year Charlie had asked me to join a few face book pages that were of the religious values and beliefs and so I joined, as I believe Charlie wanted me to view those pages. There is no doubt when Charlie closed his eyes for the last time and left the "physical world" and entered the "spirit world" he ascend wright to heaven for sure. I'am sure many of his comrades in heaven were waiting for him with a SILVER BULLET. Wit Out Ye, Wit Out Me. Out of respect for Lt. Charlie McCarthy his pictures will remain as the COVER PAGE for the next 30 days. We would like to send the entire McCarthy Family including his son Lt Jim McCarthy our sincere condolences in their time of grief. I hope this post was respectful enough for this Sunday Morning. MAy God Bless you Charlie McCarthy."....UNQUOTE.

68jk09

Arrangements from an email......... QUOTE... "Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2021, 3:27:45 PM EDT
Subject: 65-2 Charlie McCarthy

It is with regret that FDNY Florida Retirees Martin/St Lucie Div. announces the death of it member Ret. Lt. Charles McCarthy that occurred on 4-24-21. Charlie was appointed 6-18-60 & retired 11/81. Charlie was assigned to the following companies L-41, L-31, Batt. 25 and R-3.

There will be a church service (St.Christopher Catholic Church 12001 SE Federal Hwy Hobe Sound) tomorrow, Monday, April 26th at 2pm.

If you will be attended please wear blue pants and white uniform shirt (if you have one) other wise wear a FDNY shirt.
We will be assembling at 1:40pm outside the church.

"In God We Trust"
www.fdnyfloridaretirees.com

68jk09

UPDATE ON RET LT CHARLES McCARTHY....NEW YORK FUNERAL / MEMORIAL MASS....Saturday June 5, 2021 1000 hrs at St. Joan of Arc RC Church 32 Eagle Valley Road Sloatsburg NY 10974

68jk09

^^^^^^
Charlie's Son Jim is an FDNY LT & is the LTs Representative on the UFOA Board.