LA County Fire Station destroyed by fire

Screenshot 2024-05-08 1.54.35 PM.png
Looks like the fire was noticed at 4AM, fire was declared under control at 5:17AM. Looks like every unit was damaged.

This fire speaks of the need for fire department to be an example for the community around them and have EVERY firehouse fully Sprinkler Protected, with an adequate water supply. We cannot preach about value of Sprinkler Systems and then fail to have properly designed Sprinkler Systems in our own firehouses. I DO NOT KNOW if this LA firehouse had sprinklers, but I doubt it. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

I can't believe that they didn't have smoke detectors in the building! I know the article said it was an older building but there is still no excuse for not having smoke detectors in it.
Well it will make a hell of a photo statement in an ad for them.

I can't believe that they didn't have smoke detectors in the building! I know the article said it was an older building but there is still no excuse for not having smoke detectors in it.
Firehouses are mixed occupancies with the sleeping areas considered to be Rooming & Lodging, Dormitories or Hotels. The model codes require separation, sprinklers and smoke alarms. Departments purchase PPE and safety equipment for their employees, but do not provide the protection in sleeping areas that are required for the public in similar circumstances. Even the unions have other priorities for their members.

To those who asked, no housewatch and the staffing includes the officer. This was formerly a City of Huntington Park Fire House and then they dissolved and contracted with LA County.