Ladder 4 1960 American LaFrance

Here is a photo of LAD*2 which had the same year Rig.....4 was "The Pride Of Midtown West" & 2 was "The Pride Midtown East" back then....LAD*2 as pictured was well taken care of by poster CVILLE 7111's Dad he was a well known Chauffer in 2 back then .... the Rig is over 10 yrs old in this picture & looks brand new (i like the double Sirens & the Mack Private Sanitation Truck Air Horn).....      https://fineartamerica.com/featured/children-looking-at-fire-truck-c1970s-h-armstrong-robertsclassicstock.html

2 Truck's 1960 LaFrance was featured in MAD Magazine; "A Mad Look at Firemen" 1964

Attachments

• 1964 1000 mad magazine 2.jpg
    1964 1000 mad magazine 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 590
10 years means its more than 1970 so where are the wooden coverings that went one after the riots of the late 60s?

I was in Wall St 1973 n ladder 10 similar to Ladder 2 had a wooden cab cover...

During 1964 to 1965 almost every LAD had retrofitted plywood covering over the front cab area as well as the Tiller seat......most pre 1958 ENGs also had plywood coverings added to the cab area & all ENGs that had no cover over the Back Step got one added.

Why were they open cabs in the first place? why not have roofs as soon as they were available, were they not available on other vehicles long before these time frames?

Traditionally, prior to 1968, ladder company apparatus was ordered with open cabs as it was felt that the open cab assisted the chauffeur with positioning the rig at a job and lining up the turntable where he, the chauffeur, felt it should be.
As the rig approached the location, the chauffeur had an unobstructed view of the scene.
This thinking changed in the mid 70's as Chief JK said for existing rigs which were retrofitted with plywood roofs and for all new rigs ordered after 1968 which came with roofs. 

1261Truckie said:
Traditionally, prior to 1968, ladder company apparatus was ordered with open cabs as it was felt that the open cab assisted the chauffeur with positioning the rig at a job and lining up the turntable where he, the chauffeur, felt it should be.
As the rig approached the location, the chauffeur had an unobstructed view of the scene. ''

Ah, thanks for that interesting information, now it makes a bit more sense.

And the roofs kept the flying bottles, bricks and other debris from hitting the chauffer, officer and anybody else riding in the cab.

raybrag said:
And the roofs kept the flying bottles, bricks and other debris from hitting the chauffer, officer and anybody else riding in the cab.

Yes Ray, the 1960s saw some very violent times in the streets of our major cities. Rocks, bottles and even flaming bottles filled with gasoline to burn the responding members were thrown at them.

In fact as I remember, the FDNY, as well as places like Washington, D.C., and Detroit, were the first to put plywood roofs on the open cabs of their rigs.

When fire apparatus was manufactured with those new style roofs of metal, most were NOT enclosed with doors for the entire crew as we know it today. In fact, as I remember, I think the FDNY was actually one of the first to have those six man cabs fully enclosed. Making them four door cabs with all members riding inside.

Open cab rigs were almost universal in municipal departments until the late 1960's. Officers loved to stand up (hanging on to the windshield) like a conquering emperor as the company rolled into the fire block. You got a great view of the situation and could impress onlookers as you shouted orders to the troops on the back step.

nfd2004 said:
raybrag said:

Yes Ray, the 1960s saw some very violent times in the streets of our major cities. Rocks, bottles and even flaming bottles filled with gasoline to burn the responding members were thrown at them.

In fact as I remember, the FDNY, as well as places like Washington, D.C., and Detroit, were the first to put plywood roofs on the open cabs of their rigs.

When fire apparatus was manufactured with those new style roofs of metal, most were NOT enclosed with doors for the entire crew as we know it today. In fact, as I remember, I think the FDNY was actually one of the first to have those six man cabs fully enclosed. Making them four door cabs with all members riding inside.

Almost Mr. Willy, Looks like Detroit had a crystal ball; covered and protected the members in a sedan like pumper mid 50's.