Lancaster,PA 7 Killed in House Fire 7/4/13

Such a tragedy. R.I.P., thoughts and prayers to the victims. One of those killed was a Vietnam War vet. I believe there were also no working smoke detectors in the home at the time.

A little background on Lancaster, one of the oldest inland cities in the country. I have been to Lancaster City several times. I usually go to the County(Amish Country) at least once a year to vacation. Lancaster Bureau of Fire Rescue is the only completely paid, full-time department in the county, and covers the entire city of Lancaster. Lancaster is a very old, compact city with 60,000 people living in 7 square miles. Nearly every street is one-way and is mainly comprised of 2-3 story brick rowhouses, all either attached or very close together. Many of the buildings are well over 100 years old. There are also quite a few tight streets and narrow alleyways.

The Lancaster Bureau of Fire currently has 72 members and operates 3 Fire Stations, and run a frontline fleet of 3 Engines and 1 Truck(Quint), with 3 Reserve Engines and 1 Reserve Truck. The Bureau does around 3,500-4,000 calls annually. Every structure fire brings in at least one or two volunteer companies M/A from outside the city, at least for R.I.T. Back in the '80's and 90's, the city ran 6 Fire Stations, with 6 Engines, 3 Trucks, and I believe a Rescue. Over the years, 3 Engines and 1 Truck were disbanded, and in 2011, a smaller 75' Quint, Truck 1, was disbanded due to budget issues. Additionally, the fourth platoon of firefighters was cut, bringing the strength of manpower down to three rotating platoons. Also, one Engine is "browned out" daily. The remaining Truck Co. in the city, Truck 2, is a 100' rear-mount Tower Ladder with a pump and tank. However, because of it's size, it can't make it down many of the streets in the city, so basically, the East End of the city has no Ladder coverage. Plus, 75% of the city's fleet is well over 15-20 years old.

Where this fire was, the 2 Engines and 1 Truck that would have been first due have been disbanded for many years. A storage Facility and a vacant building are left.

Back in the day, the Bureau of Fire operated:

Engine 1, Truck 2 - 425 W. King St. - West End
Engine 2 - S. Queen St. & W. Andrew St. - South End
Engine 3, Truck 1 - 333 E. King St. - East End
Engine 4 - New Holland Ave. & Fountain Ave. - Northeast End
Engine 5, Tower 1, Deputy Chief, Shift Commander, Command Van/Fire Headquarters - E. Chestnut St. & N. Duke St. - Center City
Engine 6 - 843 Fremont St. - Southwest End

Today, the Bureau runs:

Engine 1, Truck 2, Deputy Chief, Shift Commander - 425 W. King St. - West End
Engine 2 - 843 Fremont St. - Southwest End
Engine 3, Command Van - 333 E. King St. - East End
Storage Facility - New Holland Ave. & Fountain Ave. - Northeast End

This fire went to a 4th, or General Alarm by Lancaster's standards, bringing in the following county volunteer companies: Willow Street FC Rescue Squad 50, Lafayette FC Truck 63, Lancaster Twp. FC Truck 66, Roherstown FC Tower 67, Manheim Twp.(Eden) FC Truck 204, and Ronks FC Air Unit 48, and Lancaster EMS.