Mack R rigs

I used to buff E91, 91-2, and L43 in the late 60's, early 1970's, guest of one of the Irishmen in the house who also owned pubs in the Bronx. (If I remember correctly, a case of Shaffer was the price of admission to quarters.) I was there the day the local parish priest blessed 91-2's new R Model Mack. (It replaced an old WLF CD pumper that they had used since the 2d Section was organized.)We did abut 20 runs that night, including a good job in the South Bronx.

First impression: That is one beautiful rig!. It was seemingly as imposing a the old Ahrens- Fox with the silver ball out front.

The enclosed crew cab was the first for the FDNY. Riding in a cab, however, was not yet accepted as the way to go and the men still preferred the back step. They threw me, the buff, in the cab early on but soon I was hanging off the back too.

Eventually, the routine changed. The cab had a hookup for the new Scott masks that made it easier to don. There were only two masks per company and those designated to wear them rode inside. The guys on the back step made the stretch and entry, replaced by the mask guys if things got hot and sticky. When that first winter came, the cab suddenly got very popular for everybody. All hands inside!

The chauffeurs found the R-model difficult to navigate, with the long front engine compartment ahead of the cab. The cab forward designs were much easier in city streets. While durable, this feature killed the idea and the R's were the last of this type purchased as pumpers or ladders by the FDNY. They bounced around the job, some eventually  going to the CETA program salvage fleet as previously stated. One also ran from E48's old quarters on Webster Ave in the Bronx.

The "R's" WERE an imposing and great looking engine, perhaps my fave through all the years. Its a tossup for me with the Mack C's.

I recently went back to E91 for their Centennial, guest of the same friend from all those years ago. Great to see all those guys form the War Years. The house is a lot quieter these days with just the single engine. It was riot in there years ago with three companies zooming in and out all the time. And 91's kitchen still has that table from the Ruppert Brewery, which was in their first due area, donated when it was demolished. It was the table Colonel Jacob Ruppert, owner of the brewery and the New York Yankees at the time, signed Babe Ruth to his monstrous $85,000 contract. When asked how he felt about making more money than President Coolidge that year, the Babe famously replied, "I had a better year than him".

The current members, a great crew, keep the table varnished and polished. Oddly, I guess some of them make more now than Babe did.

My brother George took the train from Bridgeport (Ct) to the train station in Harlem. He was pretty young then and it was one very tough place. He had planned to visit Engine 91s firehouse. I guess he walked over to 91s quarters from there. When he got to that firehouse, the guys couldn't believe he walked. So when it came time for him to go back, they drove him in the rig to the train station.