Manhattan northern tip coverage

What happens when Inwood section gets all hands fire I don't know if I'm going word this right but would the all hands fire use up all the units in that area I know Manhattan dispatcher office already working on relocation and if the fire goes to 2nd does Manhattan tap into the bronx units right across the river because it would be quicker and the closest units instead of waiting for Manhattan units that are further south.

A handful of Northern Manhattan Boxes bring Bronx Units before the 2nd not to mention harlem boxes as well

43/59 81/46 68/49 60/17 83/29 have All Hands boxes in Manhattan

Think Sq41 has a 3rd due box in Harlem too

A handful of Northern Manhattan Boxes bring Bronx Units before the 2nd not to mention harlem boxes as well

43/59 81/46 68/49 60/17 83/29 have All Hands boxes in Manhattan

Think Sq41 has a 3rd due box in Harlem too
Thank you for your quick reply the reason I asked the question when I was looking Google maps fdny unit locations with customized icons you can really see how fast the area from W 155st all the way up to Inwood is with out coverage and how far south the next closest companies have to travel and it's easier to tap the bronx units.
It's a good thing that area does not have high volume of fire compared to other neighborhoods thru out NYC.

What happens when Inwood section gets all hands fire I don't know if I'm going word this right but would the all hands fire use up all the units in that area I know Manhattan dispatcher office already working on relocation and if the fire goes to 2nd does Manhattan tap into the bronx units right across the river because it would be quicker and the closest units instead of waiting for Manhattan units that are further south.
81/46 still respond 2d due on the first alarm in the northern sector of Inwood. They used to go a lot further south but the BARB survey changed a lot of that. (mac8146 is the expert on this subject.) Ditto, 75/33 were bumped out of 3d due boxes by BARB, replaced by 43/59, particularly in the Dyckman St. sector. (93/45 come north 2d due, mostly.)

On the second alarm, depending on what sector of Inwood, Bronx companies E42, 43/59, 48/56, 52/52, 75/33, 79/37, and 81/46 might be assigned.

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick reply the reason I asked the question when I was looking Google maps fdny unit locations with customized icons you can really see how fast the area from W 155st all the way up to Inwood is with out coverage and how far south the next closest companies have to travel and it's easier to tap the bronx units.
It's a good thing that area does not have high volume of fire compared to other neighborhoods thru out NYC.
It's easy if you think of the 5 boroughs (counties) all belonging to the FDNY. There are no town or county lines to consider when dispatching apparatus. Engine 329 on the Rockaway Peninsula in Queens responds on a first-alarm assignment to Floyd-Bennett Field in Brooklyn because they are geographically close.

👆what he said ! Generally, nearest companies respond , regardless of boro lines.

Last edited:
Regarding two crossovers from BX to N. Manhattan 181 St. & 207 St- traffic has become so bad that it might not be effective to send Bronx units over. Rigs with lights and sirens can't move cars that have no where to go. Automobile volume is at an all time high and keeps getting higher. People with no credit history can contract for purchases and leases at will. Vision Zero keeps squeezing. Madness!

Regarding two crossovers from BX to N. Manhattan 181 St. & 207 St- traffic has become so bad that it might not be effective to send Bronx units over. Rigs with lights and sirens can't move cars that have no where to go. Automobile volume is at an all time high and keeps getting higher. People with no credit history can contract for purchases and leases at will. Vision Zero keeps squeezing. Madness!
Correct. A few months ago I was going from Inwood to Arthur Ave. It took about 15 minutes and many light changes just to get across the 207th St bridge. A mess.