MAXI-WATER

Can someone explain the purpose of the maxi-water co's. I hear them dispatched to big jobs and setting up at specific "hook up sites", what do they do when there? I know they are bigger pumps than normal engines but what do they do once on site. Relay water or boost line pressure in the city mains??? 

Bulldog

Bulldog
They relay water to the scene from a larger source of water (bigger main).  They can also set up drafting operations when required.  I speculate that before long they won't exist as such because all the new engines are being purchased with 2000gpm pumps so there will be an awful lot of large capacity pumpers available.  Of course the high pressure units will still have to insist for high rises.

Just to clarify, the Maxi-Water System has not existed in over 10 years. The Maxi-Water Unit is now Satellite 6. I don't see the Satellites going away simply because there are areas that do require long stretches, and they do operate at foam operations, and there are many instances where the manifolds they carry are put to work.

The purpose of the department buying the 2000 GPM pumpers was to have the ability to draft, if necessary, if we have another Sept. 11th type catastrophy where water mains are knocked out.

At a fire scene, the Engine associated with the Satellite hooks up to a larger water main, and will supply water as needed. The Satellite has large diameter hose that is used to supply the manifold, or transporting water to areas of low hydrant availability(think parts of SI). They can be used to assist in foam operations. It is very rare, that you hear on recent radio transmissions mentioning a hook up site. Bulldog is correct when it comes to drafting. But, all the Satellites have new, or newer rigs, so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

F

Fireman5230

Maxi Water was a modification to the SUPER PUMPER SYSTEM. to get the pressure and volume the Pumper could make, 6 HIGH PRESSURE (3 Stage 1000 GPM) Pumpers were bought and 6 2000 GPM rigs. The Hose Wagons (SATELLITES) carried the LDH. MAXI WATER was a way to get the MAXIMUM water on scene as FAST as they could.

As stated the MW Unit is OOS and now called Satellite 6.

As of the review of operations after 9-11 the FDNY wanted MORE 200 GPM pumpers. Someone in the CITY (not FDNY) made the contract stating ALL NEW PUMPERS WILL BE 2000 GPM.  So now with 2008 & 9 new Engines are 2000 GPM. Will the stay this way or just count this as the increase they wanted and go back to 1000 GPM????

they have 70 pumpers of 2000 gpm variety on order with 30 already in service. So we now will have 76 or so pumpers(includes Satelites) out of 198 or 205 if we include squads. Dont see them ordering anything except for squads for a few years. The current contract has 2 years left for the 2000 gpm units.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Fireman5230 said:
As of the review of operations after 9-11 the FDNY wanted MORE 200 GPM pumpers. Someone in the CITY (not FDNY) made the contract stating ALL NEW PUMPERS WILL BE 2000 GPM.  So now with 2008 & 9 new Engines are 2000 GPM. Will the stay this way or just count this as the increase they wanted and go back to 1000 GPM????
My bet would be they will stay with 2000gpm for all future rigs.  The cost differential isn't that great and there is something to be said for consistency and interchangeability of units.  In addition if they keep cutting back manpower and units they're going to end up going to more "surround and drown" operations to the safety considerations.

Yes to clearify...I have been listening to some old tapes and hear it alot during the 90's. I should have said that first!  thanks for the info.