Member Get Together

nfd2004

Over the last two weeks or so, myself, Joe M. (macK), John B (jbendick) and Tommy B (tbendick) have been talking about having a One Day Get Together, open to the members who would like to have a dinner and meet some of the guys of Nycfire.net.

There is a possibility that Lt Tommy B might be able to present a program on the FDNY and maybe a couple of guys would be willing to talk on the FDNY history of the dept, the War Years, etc.

We would hope to hold this event at a hall in Yonkers, maybe on a weekend in early May. Limited to 45-50 people depending on the allowed occupancy.

Hopefully we can give you more information soon. But again, this is very early in the planning stages at this point.

STAjo

Keep Me Posted Willy. I Swear - I'm gonna' get to One of These Yet !  ::)

Yonkers would be great as I'm Now Up in Kingston, NY  (God Only Knows where I'll be in May;
Hopefully Closer to Yonkers !)

nfd2004

STAjo said:
Keep Me Posted Willy. I Swear - I'm gonna' get to One of These Yet !  ::)

Yonkers would be great as I'm Now Up in Kingston, NY  (God Only Knows where I'll be in May;
Hopefully Closer to Yonkers !)

Joe, we'll do. Had a brief discussion about it earlier today with "mack". I'll also be in touch with Capt John B and pass on a couple of thoughts "mack" had mentioned.

Trying to get the place for the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in May.

Maybe a start time of about 11:00 am with an optional dinner maybe 1700.

Hope to get a few more details within a week or so. I hope to talk to Capt John B about it within the next few days.

nfd2004

Friends of Nycfire.net, so far we are looking at Saturday May 18th as the day of this Get Together. Maybe from around 1100 hours to 1700 hours.

A few guys talking about the FDNY now and then. For me as a buff of the FDNY, how it all started and how I found this site. If possible I understand that Lt Tommy Bendick might be able to present us with a power point program on the FDNY as it is today. Retired Capt John Bendick has mentioned to me about telling us about working within the FDNY during those very busy War Years.

I would hope that maybe Joe M., "mack" might be able to talk a little too. His father was a B/C on the FDNY and Joe spent a lot of time with him at the firehouse, I think in Coney Island. A very busy place during those War Years. As we know, "mack" has been the main contributing author of the FDNY Firehouse threads. The most viewed and popular threads on this site.

Of course it is hoped that more guys might be interested in telling their stories. The FDNY, as well as other topics many of us would be interested in. FDNY Dispatchers and the FDNY/EMS.

Besides a few guys talking to the group, maybe a coffee hour chit chat and later a dinner.

The place would probably be in Yonkers. A few of us visited a VFW Hall several years ago and John and Joe have mentioned that place as a possible location. The cost would depend on the cost of the hall and the meal. Maybe have a raffle to off set it a little. Also of course mentioned is making a donation to a charity. One talked about is the NYC Burn Center which has an office at the firehouse where Lt Tommy Bendick works.

So with that date in mind, (Saturday May 18th - if possible), John Bendick has mentioned that we would need a count of those who would be interested in attending.

We begin with Joe W., "STAjo". Members we would like to have a good idea on those who would be interested. Please sign up below between now and Tuesday March 19th.

JOR176

I'm out.  I won't be in NY until around June for The Bell Club Dinner as I am a member.

nfd2004

Thank you "manhattan" and "Lebby", along with "STAjo" and "68jk09", we will be in touch.

I think there might be a few more joining as well.

We will keep you advised.

nfd2004

A quick rundown of what has been talked about.

1) There is some talk that the location may be at a place called Maggie Mays in Bayside Queens, off Bell Blvd, rather than in Yonkers. Some of the guys here are more familiar with that place.

2) Looking at maybe Saturday May 11th or 18th.

3) Time maybe from around noon until 5 pm. Those that would want to stay longer of course could do so.

4) The location is near mass transit with a hotel nearby that many of us have stayed at.

5) There is metered parking on the street and a metered lot nearby.

6) No credit or debit cards - cash only at Maggie Mays.

Nothing confirmed yet but we will let everybody know as plans become more definite. Of course we would need a confirmation on who WILL be attending about one week prior.

I already have most of your email addresses and phone numbers. Once things get established you will get a group message for any notifications.

Members involved in organizing this event are - Jack K., aka "68jk09", Joe M., aka "mack", and John B., aka "jbendick".

nfd2004

guitarman314 said:
  I have a family commitment on May 18th but May 11th is OK by me.

"guitarman314", aka Tom E., grew up in the South Bronx during those FDNY War Years. I'm sure he has plenty of stories about it.

He also has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the fire apparatus of the FDNY.

G-man as he is sometimes referred to has a very special talent and skill. That skill is that he builds custom made fire apparatus models from scratch, down to every detail. Maybe he could bring a few in if we are able to meet up on Saturday May 11th.

He also has played guitar with some of the Doo Wop Groups we have talked about on this site.

CAN HE WALK ON WATER ?????  I don't know - maybe !

I also met "fdhistorian", nickname "Iggy", several years ago. He wrote a huge book called "The American Fire Services" (I think) which listed every single fire house and companies throughout most of the United States (and Canada ?). I used it to visit firehouses in cities across the country taking fire apparatus photos. Some of those places were:
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, PA
Columbus and Cleveland, Ohio
Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, and Jersey City, N.J.
Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County, Cailf
Detroit, Mich
Washington, DC
Yonkers, Rochester, Syracuse, and Buffalo, NY
Boston, Springfield, Fall River, New Bedford, and Worcester, Mass.

Those are just a few. There were many others as well. It was before the days of the internet. So I could NOT do it if not for a book like IGGY wrote.

We have "STAjo", aka Joe Walsh, who also recently wrote a book titled: "11/11".

There are guys who plan to be there who are Active and Retired Members of the FDNY. They all have stories to tell and another thing that I have found out about them is; "They want to hear your stories too".

It is possible that the owner of this site, Lt Tommy Bendick, might be able to present to us a power point program on the FDNY today.

I know of a few more guys that I hope might show up.

We have the BEST GUYS OUT THERE working on putting this little gathering together, Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09", Joe Materia, aka "mack", and John Bendick, aka "jbendick". Simply put - "THEY ARE TOP SHELF GUYS". I'm not the only one who says that either.

For those who would be coming from far away, this get together dinner will only be about 5 hours or so. But there is plenty to do around NYC. Plus I'm sure you will meet guys that are into the same thing that you are. "It could actually be a long night". 

They are not just from Fire Department backgrounds, but some have some pretty impressive backgrounds if we can get them to talk about it.

Maggie Mays is a very respectable place with good people who work there. The food is good and we are always treated great. In late October, both FDNY Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas and Retired Capt John Bendick, along with several members of their 1968 FDNY Probie Class celebrated their 50th Anniversary of beginning their FDNY War Years Careers. Guys came from all over. It was GREAT and everybody had a great time. They had a dinner together in the back dinning area.

I'm hoping that's the kind of thing we could do.

I sent a couple of pictures to Brad Y., aka "signal73", asking him to use his expertise in posting some pictures of that "50th Anniversary - 1968 FDNY Probie Class" at Maggie Mays. He's got far better computer skills than I do.

I have told people, my best friends are the guys I have met on this site.

NOTE - I tried other Dating Sites but I just didn't do too well  :) ;) :D