Member Get Together

efd274

nfd2004 said:
efd274 said:
I would like to join you that day if my schedule permits - so please add me to the list.  I believe Mothers Day is the 12th - hopefully it all works out.  Funny, I ate at Donovans today which is next door to Maggy Mays

Eugene D., "efd274", you are added to the list. Your brother Kevin "kfd274", should join us too.

If I remember correctly, weren't both of you guys teachers or principals in some school in Queens ? Do you guys know how much I feared and tried to hide from guys like you during my school days. What was worse was that I had to do some extra time in the summer months going to summer school. WOW, I sure am glad those days are over......

JohnnyGage said:
Perfect opportunity to get mom a bag of belly bombs (sliders) for her special day!...you can't go wrong. Add a bow for that extra touch...

What better gift than a "bag of bellie bombers" with a pretty bow attached. A great gift idea for just about any occasion.

How about telling everybody that you want a "bag of bellie bombers" for your next birthday party - instead of a cake. How great is that ?

Willy,

Kevin, my "oldest" sibling, was in education - have to give the "oldest" brother his due.  I am a recently retired Civil Engineer and am old enough to have bought those belly bombers when they were a nickel.  Grew up in Flushing and used to go the White Castle on Bell Blvd when they had car service with the young ladies on roller skates.  A lot better than the drive up window!  In this case progress was not so good.  They have the ladies on roller skates at Sonic now but there burgers can't compare with White Castle.

Bell Blvd is still a nice area - used to hang out there in College a bit as my wife is from Bayside - they had my bachelor party at Buzz and Mac's, a pub on Bell Blvd - some of the older guys will remember it on the east side of Bell Blvd - it was there a very long time - one of the older guys in my parish was a bar tender there and took good care of us

Hope to make the meeting.  You certainly picked a nice spot to have it - right around the corner from E306.  When I was growing up L152 and BC53 were also in the house.  L152 moved out in 1960 and joined with E299 from the big house in Jamaica for the new house on Utopia Pkwy.  In the mid 80's BC53 moved to the new firehouse on Springfield Blvd and was joined by E326 and L160.

As far as school, I went to parochial school at St Andrew's on Northern Blvd and 158 St - had 59 kids in my class and discipline was pretty rigorous.  It got even better in high school where I had the Sacred Heart brothers - you always wanted them to take care of any issue on the spot with a good smack as detention was the worst - 2 hours after school and you weren't able to do homework or anything - stand for 20 minutes, sit for 10 minutes for a total of four cycles.  Only lay teachers usually gave detention.

You learned discipline very quickly back in those days.  Several of my grammar school classmates went on to be officers for the FDNY.  Our biggest claim to fame was Eddie Kilduff who became Chief of the Department - I am pleased to say I helped teach  Eddie how to buff at E274 - he certainly took buffing at E274 to a whole new level.  He was great guy growing up and was well liked by all - I know the guys on the job really liked him as well

Best wishes to all and hope to see you at the meeting
Gene

JohnnyGage

^^^^^^Ed Kilduff was my lieutenant when I transferred into L 112. I was part of the inside team working the night tour Ed made a rescue on Cornelia Street (Oct. 12, 1988). Ed was recognized for his heroic rescue on Medal Day (June 1989).That years Medal Day book is the only time my name would be mentioned in any medal day book...a special honor to be associated with future COD Ed Killduff. He was a superior fire officer and a gentleman of the highest order.

nfd2004

Thank you Gene, aka "efd274" and Dan, aka "JohnnyGage" for those GREAT Stories.

These are the kind of stories that we hope are brought up at the Get Together.

68jk09

^^^efd274 in regard to discipline in Catholic Schools i remember "kneeling" across/on top of  a metal wastebasket .....that sort of rivaled some things in USMC Boot Camp (but not really) .

68jk09

Ed Kilduff mentioned above was certainly one of the FDNY Greats ...he is going to be the Grand Marshall of the Bayside St Patricks Parade along Bell Blvd on 3-30-19.....in the link Ed is fourth from the left with the bow tie...(i will invite him to our upcoming get together....he was unavailable for our last one)    .....  https://www.facebook.com/baysidestpatricksdayparade/

68jk09

^^^^You can live stream to see Ed leading the Bayside Parade at this link on Sat 3-30-19.... https://www.baysidesaintpatricksdayparade.org

JohnnyGage

68jk09 said:
Ed Kilduff mentioned above was certainly one of the FDNY Greats ...he is going to be the Grand Marshall of the Bayside St Patricks Parade along Bell Blvd on 3-30-19.....in the link Ed is fourth from the left with the bow tie...(i will invite him to our upcoming get together....he was unavailable for our last one)    .....  https://www.facebook.com/baysidestpatricksdayparade/

JK, that's a cool idea, It would be fun to see Ed again.

nfd2004

68jk09 said:

Chief, thank you very much.

Member Frank Meade, aka "manhattan", had asked me if it were possible to have Chief Kilduff join us.

Frank, "manhattan" also plans to join us and I will add his name to our list. I know that Frank has a few medical issues but he assures us he will do his best to be there.

Frank is well known and well respected among the FDNY, NYPD and Military. I can certainly understand why.

Frank Meade organizes the Veterans Memorial Service every year in lower Manhattan.

Frank has played a major part in setting up the Father Judge Walk, FDNYs Chaplin, in Manhattan to honor the first victim of that terrible September Day in 2001.

He was also a very good friend of the late NYPD Officer, Steven McDonald, who was shot in Central Park in the 1980s. He was paralyzed but became an inspiration to us all. Officer Steven McDonald passed away in January, 2017.

Thank you "manhattan" and here is a tribute to his good friend, NYPD Officer Steven McDonald, a guy who showed us what bravery is all about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4UYXgZgL4U 

grumpy grizzly

Well I was going to try to attend this but I was just informed that I am scheduled for total knee replacement surgery on April 22. Guess I might be OOS for a week or so afterwards to post Chicago and Boston stuff. Enjoy yourselves though!

mack

Administrator
grumpy grizzly said:
Well I was going to try to attend this but I was just informed that I am scheduled for total knee replacement surgery on April 22. Guess I might be OOS for a week or so afterwards to post Chicago and Boston stuff. Enjoy yourselves though!

Too bad grump.  You will be missed.  Good luck with your knee surgery.

nfd2004

guitarman314 said:
  I'm 95% sure to attend so put me in.
:)

10-4 Mr G-man.

I hope you?ll bring some of your fire truck models that you have created too. Some unbelieveable creations.

Tom also has a wealth of knowledge on the history of the FDNY.

And for those Doo Wop fans, he played guitar for some of the best.

We will add G-man to the list.

Sorry Bill but it is Mother's Day weekend and I will be upstate NY at my daughter's home for a family reunion. Hopefully next time.

nfd2004

******* said:
Sorry Bill but it is Mother's Day weekend and I will be upstate NY at my daughter's home for a family reunion. Hopefully next time.

Thank you Chief. When we scheduled it, we didn?t realize it was Mother?s Day Weekend. A couple of other guys that has affected and rightfully so. FAMILY FIRST.

Chief, I can tell you that I know most of the guys that are joining us. They are TOP SHELF.

They read your stories too.

But yes, I?m sure there will be another time

nfd2004

I received a gift in the mail today that Frank M., aka "manhattan", would like me to share with you guys at this Get Together. I think it will be appreciate by all.

To the members and friends planning to attend this event at Maggie Mays, we may NOT be able to get that back room. I understand that it might already be booked up. If that is the case, we will work on trying to find a nearby location.

But I hope we can stay at Maggie Mays because it's a decent place and those of us who have been there like it.

nfd2004

I have added the name of another member who is planning to join us. His name is Kenny F., aka "Atlas". Some of the members here know him and he has always been good to us.

I believe he began his interest in the fire service as a buff living around the corner from Engine 75/Ladder 33, a very busy firehouse. He also spent time in the U.S. Military as a firefighter.

After serving in the military (Army - ?) he returned home where he became a fire dispatcher during those very busy FDNY War Years. During his years, he rose up in the ranks throughout that system. Today I believe he is heavily involved with the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary as one of their commanding officers.

Kenny has a wealth of knowledge pertaining to the FDNY that I'm hoping he will share with us.

NOTE - I also want to add that the original plan of meeting at Maggie Mays may have to be changed to another location due to a previous engagement. One member suggest "Donovan's", which is a nice place right across the street. Another is Rory Dolan's in Yonkers. A few of us have been there before which is right on the Bronx/Yonkers border.

Also mentioned is a VFW Hall in Queens or Yonkers.

We will do the best possible to keep it at that May 11th date. But if that date needs to be changed as well, it will only be because we had no other choices and we'll work it out somehow.

I know that member Elwood E., "CFDMarshall" has already booked a flight to come up here. He is coming from Tennessee. So we will try to keep it for that date. If it needs to be changed, hopefully we can make it convenient for him.

nfd2004

Reply # 30 updated once again.

Added to our list of attendees is Steve Elliot, aka "fltpara16", a good friend and a familiar name to many of us here. But for those who don't know him, here's a little bit of his story.

Steve was once a paramedic working on a Life Flight Helicopter. His job was to save the lives of the most serious injured or sick while being transported to a major hospital in his home State of Virginia.

He also became a firefighter in Albemarle County, Virginia where he rose up to the rank of Battalion Chief. It may be hard for some of us here to understand but he is the only on duty battalion chief covering the entire county of maybe 300 square miles or so. "When B/C Elliot asks for a 10-12, I guess he really means it". 

Steve also has a son who is a volunteer firefighter in that county, who hopes to follow in his fathers footsteps. He has a daughter who will be getting married in about two weeks and Steve is also a proud grandfather too.

I know of a few members here who have rode with B/C Elloit. It's been a pretty busy place there lately, as confirmed by member Joe M., aka "mack". Apparently ever since a visit by Retired FDNY Capt John Bendick a few months ago, there's been plenty of action for Steve and the members of the Albemarie County Fire Dept.

*** - A note concerning our Get Together I might also add here. As I understand it, there will be more individuals attending this event than posted here, including invited friends of Chief Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09". Some of whom many here already know. I just don't have a count on that number yet.

We are also looking into the possibility of holding this event at another location because the back dinning area might want to be used by the former owner of Maggie Mays on that May 11th date.

Either way, you will be advised of such should a change be required.

nfd2004

Update regarding date and location of this Member Get Together.

It appears at this time that Maggie Mays on May 11th will NOT be available for us. Chief Jack Kleehaas, "68jk09", is working on another place but it may also require us changing the date.

I know this may affect some who have already made plans to attend. I hope to have more information for you by the end of this week. 

nfd2004

nfd2004 said:
Thank you gentlemen for making your commitment so that we can get a head count early enough to reserve the back dinning room at Maggie Mays.

Maggie Mays is located in Bayside Queens at 214-22 41st Ave off Bell Blvd. They have a web site listing menus etc. That site is www.maggiemaysbayside.com .

Located not far is a hotel where many of us have stayed in the past. It is the Anchor Inn located at 215-34 Northern Blvd. Their web site is www.anchorinn.com

I will be sending out an email to members here who I have email addresses of. Telling them, in case they have not seen this, of the upcoming get together.
I also plan to send invitations to other firefighters, etc who have meet some of our members during various fire dept tours they offered us. They treated us great and we want to include them as well.

It was also suggested that any member who might be interested in bringing any related fire dept items for display or sale would be welcomed to do so. We have guys here who have written books, have patches, built custom made models, etc. 

The entire cost of the dinner, plus tip is usually divided up equally among us. Maggie Mays is CASH ONLY, no credit or debit cards. We would also ask that you would consider making a donation to a fire dept charity that will be announced later.

For guys that plan to stay a couple of days, there is a lot to do. Sometimes visit a firehouse, go to a ball game, visit the Bronx Zoo, tour the Statue of Liberty, or take a boat/bus tour around Manhattan etc., etc., etc. You won't run out of things to do. There's a nearby dinner called "The Jackson Hole" that a few of us have enjoyed a home style country breakfast at.

This list will be updated as others join in. Let's plan on April 1st for the final commitment as long as that's okay with Jack K, "68jk09", who is making the plans to reserve the dining area. So far members who are planning on attending are:

1) Jack K., "68jk09"
2) John B., "jbendick" - arriving late due to FDNY/EMS Family Day
3) Joe M., "mack"
4) Doug M., "AuxWarYearsCapt"
5) Bill J., "Parkave32"
6) Iggy K., "fdhistorian"
7) Elwood E., "CFDMarshall"
8) Joe W., "STAjo" - - - Joe, you get a free smiley face when I type in the number "8" with a ")".
9) Frank D., "fdce54"
10) John D., "johnd248"
11) Dan P., "JohnnyGage"
12) Tommy B., "tbendick" - arriving late due to FDNY/EMS Family Day
13) Eugene D., "efd274"
14) Frank M., "manhattan"
15) Tom E., ?guitarman314?
16) Ken F., "Atlas"
17) Steve E., "fltpara16"
18) Tom Keufner
19)
20)

PLUS - A very special invited guest that I think you ALL will be quite impressed with. His name, Gracian Bendick.

Of course, "His Honor", Mr Willy D, "NFD2004" will attend as long as everybody promises to be nice to me.

As time goes on, I will add the names of those who plan to attend. 

A couple of members are still working on getting us a place. Hopefully we will have a place for our originally scheduled date of Saturday May 11th.

If we can't get a place for that date, we will need to postpone this event. In that case we will get the place first, they put out the date and time.

Site members Jack K, "68jk09" and John B, "jbendick" have been working hard behind the scene to come up with a place for us. They all seem to be booked up already for that day.

There has also been some members of the FDNY, both Active and Retired, who are hoping to join us.