MOTOWN REVUE 1960s to 1970s

nfd2004

Following the very popular Doo Wop Music of the 1950s came another very popular music called "Motown". Motown began around 1960 and ran into the 1970s.

There were many very popular Motown Hits that went to the top of the charts from various Motown Singers or groups.

Although some of the original singers are no longer with us, these days just like the Doo Wop Era, it is still as popular as it was back in the 60s - the 70s.

Here we will go back to that Motown Sound of the 60s and 70s.

First two very popular songs that came out in 1965. One called: "My Guy", and the other called: "My Girl". 

This is: "My Guy" by Mary Wells.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4iFPPIyxx4

This is: "My Girl" by the Temptations.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CSjcm-z1w 

nfd2004

Way back about 55 years ago in 1965, a couple of young ladies using the name of the Marvelettes, came out with a very popular song.

Rumor had it that they might have been talking about this postman when they wrote this song.

In fact, my guess is that some of you here might even know him. His picture was once on a U.S. Postage stamp and on a big poster across every post office in the country.

Do you know this very famous postman ? People say he chased fire trucks and would spend as much time as he could in the firehouses along his mail route.

www.mysticstamp.com/Products/United-States/1497/USA/

Anyway, here is that famous song called: "Please Mr Postman" by the Mavelettes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGJcbHni4rc 

nfd2004

It was early November, 1965, right in the middle of the Motown Sound. I think it was probably the number ONE hit at the time.

I remember listening to this on my record player just like the one that "Johnny Gage" posted in his "Throwback Thursday" topics (reply # 147). 

The 45 rpm record I was playing started to slow down. Then it just stopped playing and the lights went out. The Blackout of 1965 had begun.

It was November 9, 1965 and most of my neighbors came outside their houses wondering what was going on. Some had flashlights, some had candles. A couple had transistor radios as they listened to the news that the entire Northeast part of the country was without electric power. A couple of people brought out their grills and started cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. Being a 16 year old teenager, it was really a great time.

We later found out that not everybody came outside like we did. Because nine months later it was announced that there was a "baby boom" in the Northeast part of the USA.

Of course in New York City, about 12 years later, things were much different as the Blackout of 1977 went on. There was violence, looting, and arson, at a staggering rate that had never been seen before. Blocks of businesses were looted, burned, and destroyed.

Anyway, this was that song. It was called: "Lovers Concerto" by the Toys.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHR5beM5eGA 

memory master

The group was originally formed as the "Charletts" and were attending Andrew Jackson H.S. in Hollis, Queens when they recorded this song. The melody is from Bach's Minuet in G Major.