My Younger Buff Years ****200,000 Views Contest****

mack

Administrator
CONTEST OVER

"To all members of this site:  The thread "My Younger Buff Years" in the "History" section of tread will soon be viewed for the 200,000 time!  It was started 4 years ago by Willy D in an effort to share memories of the fires, firefighters, firehouses, apparatus, meals, experiences and times during FDNY's "War Years".  It is a credit to everyone - firefighters, buffs and this site - to have captured so many stories - "the best of times and the worst of times" - fighting the Red Devil in NYC.  To thank everyone who contributed as we reach this milestone, Willy D is going to acknowledge the 200,000th official viewer.  He will award a winner's certificate and an "FDNY Fire Buff's Jackpot" with gifts and awards supplied by Willy D and the site administrator. 

The contest is simple.  Just go to the thread "My Younger Buff Years" in the "History" section of this site - and be viewer # 200,000.  The gray section above the viewed area will indicate "Read 200,000 times".  If you are the 200,000 viewer, send a PM to NFD2004 (Willy D), and identify yourself as the winner and indicate the date and time.  If possible, please take a picture of the screen with your cell phone so we can post this special milestone.

Again, thanks to all who have viewed and contributed - and special thanks to all the firefighters who fought the "War Years", both in NYC and in cities all over the United States.  Never Forget!" 

nfd2004

As we quickly approach the 200,000th view for "My Younger Buff Years", let me remind you, whoever that lucky member is, we do have some very good prizes to offer. One of which will be a gift certificate to FSP of Hudson, Mass. www.fire-police-ems.com . The owner of that site, who himself was a buff of the FDNY during those very busy War Years, worked with us to help offer the sales of Memorial Tee Shirts after the recent tragic LODDs of Two Boston Firefighters from Engine 33 and Ladder 15. So in our appreciation for what he has done, we will be offering as PART of the Winnings, this gift certificate.

It is important that whoever that lucky member is, he send me a pm to advise us of his winnings. We would like that member to take a photo of that 200,000 view milestone with a camera if possible. Of course there can only be one winner. But to all who have contributed to this thread, "YOU" have made it what it is today.

It started out because one handicapped member of this site had asked me if I would send him a patch from the fire department I worked for a number of years. I apologized to him and said "I didn't have any patches but I would write him a few stories about the busy War Years when I buffed the FDNY. He enjoyed that and soon I realized if he like it, maybe others might be interested. As a result came what we all know today as "My Younger Buff Years". In addition, because of that, I have been honored to meet many members of this site. Some were firefighters or buffs during those days. In addition, it reunited myself and Johnd248 who had been a long time friend and volunteer firefighter with me back in the early 70s.

Good luck to the winner. And again, thanks to all who contributed with their stories, photos and videos. Through that we've been able to preserve what has been the busiest time in the history of the fire service and have finally been able to give credit to those FDNY members who were a part of it. I consider them to be, "The Greatest Generation of Firefighters" the world has ever seen. And I'm just thankful that I was around to witness for myself, just what they did for the people of New York City in those difficult years.

Thank you.

Your Friend.
  Bill Dennis, aka Willy D

mack

Administrator
Bill - we all appreciate your efforts, both starting this thread and keeping it going.  There is a lot of history, stories, information and special people in this thread which is great to have in one place.  But there are more stories to tell.  Hopefully everyone will continue to contribute with their personal tales, accounts and stories. 

nfd2004

mack said:
Bill - we all appreciate your efforts, both starting this thread and keeping it going.  There is a lot of history, stories, information and special people in this thread which is great to have in one place.  But there are more stories to tell.  Hopefully everyone will continue to contribute with their personal tales, accounts and stories.

You're right Joe, "mack", when this contest is over, there are more stories to tell. I have one in mind myself. Let me just add here that we can only award these prizes to a registered member. A user name is required. Nobody has to know your name or where you are from. That is NOT given out to anyone. It is a trusted web site run by an FDNY Lt and a Police Sgt from a large city just outside the New York Boros. Both, highly respected individuals. I say that because I know them both.

So sign up. Pick your user name and you can be sure that nothing will be given out about you that you do NOT wish.

P.S. - Both the site owner/Admin and his assistant did NOT ask me to write this. But I know this from my own experience.

nfd2004

We have reached the 200,000th view on 6/19/2014 at approximately 2:50 pm.

An interesting fact to consider before we announce the winner. Since the first post of this thread starting in April, 2009, approximately 1500 days ago, that averages to about 130 views each day.

nfd2004

No winner has come forward as of 3:45 pm. If you are the 200,000th viewer please send me a pm. I owe you a few prizes. If there is no response within 24 hours, it is likely that the contest will continue with just a higher number.

In addition I have a short story to tell in My Younger Buff Years which I'm hoping will move the numbers along.

Thank you.

fdce54

nfd2004 said:
No winner has come forward as of 3:45 pm. If you are the 200,000th viewer please send me a pm. I owe you a few prizes. If there is no response within 24 hours, it is likely that the contest will continue with just a higher number.

In addition I have a short story to tell in My Younger Buff Years which I'm hoping will move the numbers along.

Thank you.
Oh no! Autographed photos of Willie D again?

STAjo

WOW ! Got to 2k Pretty Quick today !

Any Mickey D's Gift Certificates involved... !?!  :D

nfd2004

I think "fdce54" and "STAjo" both might be right. But there's more.

fdce54

STAjo said:
WOW ! Got to 2k Pretty Quick today !

Any Mickey D's Gift Certificates involved... !?!  :D
That's "Willie D's" gift certificates, not Mickey D's.

nfd2004

nfd2004 said:

I regret to announce that there were no winners for the 200,000 view of My Younger Buff Years. Site owner, TBendick, gave his full endorsement for the contest. I think many of us were disappointed that the winner did not come forward to identify himself.

Maybe in the future there can be another contest.

fdce54

nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:

I regret to announce that there were no winners for the 200,000 view of My Younger Buff Years. Site owner, TBendick, gave his full endorsement for the contest. I think many of us were disappointed that the winner did not come forward to identify himself.

Maybe in the future there can be another contest.
Elwood must have scared him off with talk of howling dogs.....lol.