Need advice with old scanner

Hi. I have an old Motorola scanner.  Its the very old ones with the metal antenna that sticks up in the back and three knobs in the front.  One is to select what borough to listen to, one is the volume/off switch and the other is squelch.  Well a few weeks ago she stopped working.  Does anyone know any place in the Yonkers/southern Westchester area where I could bring it to to get  looked at?  I don't know of any place that even knows how to work on these dinosaurs anymore. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
It's even hard to find somebody to work on a new scanner these days.  Consumer electronics are basically disposable, when they stop working you throw them away.  Your only hope would be to look up Motorola radio service centers and give them a call, they may be able to help.

Really?  Damn I love this thing and don't want to have to throw it away.  Thanks for the help I'll do some research so that hopefully some day she'll be up and running again.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Actually your fortune to live in the NYC area, that's one of the few areas in the country where an old conventional scanner like that will even work.  Most areas have gone to digital and/or trunking systems which old scanners like that cannot receive.  I'm not sure how narrow banding of frequencies will affect that scanner.

We ave a guy in our shop that has worked on radios since the 1960s if you send me a few pics ill run it by him and see what he thinks

HCO

Dillon - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but "old" Motorola scanners don't handle narrow banding. In order to use a scanner (or other radio) on narrow band channels, it must be capable of tuning to five decimal points e.g. 482.23125, and must utilize 6.25 kc channel spacing.