New Book: FDNY ALF 900 Series

truck4

Administrator
Fire Apparatus Journal has released a new book- 'American LaFrance 900 Series Apparatus of The New York City Fire Department'

This was planned to have been released with Code 3's ALF 900 series tiller which has yet to appear. At least there's the book.

http://www.fireapparatusjournal.com/

Had mine today. It?s a nice book. It?s is printed by Grit Commercial same as the 2008 Squad book and the 2004 Hose Wagon book. Unfortunately the printing quality is the same as the Squad book. Most color pictures are a little too digitalized / blurry and many have a slight blue tone.
There is a big difference between the super quality Hose Wagon pictures and the almost blurry Squad and ALF pictures. A shame. I would love to see the Hose Wagon book quality back.

But still the ALF book is a nice addition to the FDNY collection.

The book says that 13 tillers were delivered in 1960 and assigned to amongst others ladder 26 - and that in 1962 FDNY took delivery of 7 tillers more.
But Sorensen and Woods "New York City Fire Trucks" shows Ladder 26 as one of the 7 delivered in 1962.

Anyone knows what?s correct? I guess it is Calderone.

Also after reading the new book I was wondering, if there were no ALF 900 pumpers in FDNY. Were they all ALF 1000??

Take care

I really liked the Century Series ALF pumpers that were purchased from 1980-1983. Good looking rig with the enclosed cab & wagon cover on the hose bed

vbcapt said:
I really liked the Century Series ALF pumpers that were purchased from 1980-1983. Good looking rig with the enclosed cab & wagon cover on the hose bed
  There were a lot of engine companies that didn't like them and went as far as exchanging their 1980 LaFrances for older 1979 Mack CF's.

Do you know what they didn't like? Was it possibly they were just so used to the Macks? I used to ride with E59 when they had one around 1989-1990. The rig appeared pretty durable & functional, didn't hear any complaining from that particular company.

I remember reading that the Sorenson/Wood book on New York City firetrucks has a lot of minor factual errors. So I would go with Caldrone :)