New Chief Rigs

WTF........... who is making the $$ off these giant POS s.....i posted elsewhere on here when these monster rigs 1st came out a year or so ago....one of the complaints w/the original ones was thru the cap there was HARDLY any rearward vision this latest model has NONE & seems somewhat higher in the rear.....keep in mind that these rigs are for use by 2 individuals w/a limited amount of small equipment....when i 1st got promoted to Chief we had a Suburban...this was fine....then we got an Excursion which was  longer & very clunky in general....then after i got out they recd 1 of the 1st of the monster trucks 11 inches longer than the Excursion .......again a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon would fill the bill fine the Diesel Engine non-availability is BS also a gas engine would work fine & gas IS available just not in the FH ....JMO.  ...MY PREVIOUS POST...The problem w/the new Chiefs rigs are that even though they are bigger (11 inches longer than the excursions which were longer than the Suburbans) there is less usable space inside....the pullout in the rear cap precludes placing any bulky tools or equipment in the back....in some qtrs the rig has to be pulled outside to allow the pullout to extend to even check equip daily...also rear vision is limited.....the handy talkie recorder is in the large black steel box taking up most of the second seat area
(because there is no heat in the rear cap area)  leaving seating for only 2 in the front & 1 in the second seat  (as opposed to seating for nine if need be in the original '80s Suburbans).......also precluded is the use of the rear area to transport an injured civilian or FF if an emergency need arose.....this was the main reason for making them all 4 wheel drive years ago (even though they never had proper snow tires).....the added length makes them  somewhat more difficult to place out of the way at an operation......a vehicle like the GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe minus the pullout would suffice fine........general overkill in my opinion as far as a vehicle goes ..... ...in my old BN the sound powered phone system is assigned to one of the ENGs who carry them on their rig & can be special called to use them if need be.  .............MORE INFO  http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,12089.0.html   

Chief........another issued that I previously brought up was when the BC visited quarters one night, they had just received the new BC car.The Coach showed us the new toy they got, and stated he found out something with it really quick. He stated if the car was facing up hill and you went to pull  the comp out in the rear, there was no need to. Once it was unlocked it flew out... The Coach statred laughing and said.... make sure you are not standing nowhere near the back or you will end up on your ass....And im to old for that nonsence....He wanted the old rig back that you both used....

I'm with all of the above. Somebody must be making a few extra dollars on these things. Maybe the next models they can put a pump and some hose on them.

Its pretty much the same with fire trucks. Those old Mack CFs, Mack Tower Ladders, and Seagrave Ladders of the War Years were work horses. No fancy bells and whistles, they just did the job. I think if A/C was just added to those rigs, they'd serve the purpose well.

I'm glad I don't have to drive or operate any of this new stuff. And let me just add, the dept I was in got a Used Seagrave Ladder Truck from a Volly Dept, which in turn had served the FDNY as Ladder 109 during their very busy years. That Ladder truck served first as a front line piece for the Vollies, then as a reserve rig for us. It lasted 40 years. They just got rid of it 2-3 years ago.

I probadly won't be around to see if these new rigs get to last 40 years.

As a comparison Chicago uses a mix of 2009 Ford Tahoe and Chevy Expeditions,2010 Expedition XLT's  for its Battalion chiefs while the Deputy Chiefs have 2006 Fords.

mack

Administrator
Even further back, the old battalion rigs were more functional with passenger and transport ability, more maneuverable, took up less space wherever they were,  easier to park, probably easier to drive and could access tight squeezes.  They had to be much cheaper to purchase and more economical  to operate.     

The back of these rigs are a pain. especially if something falls behind the pull out. 
Limited storage space the way it was designed. At least these new ones look like that have some
Access from the side. Who knows what the rest of it looks like.