New NYPD ESU Heavy Rescues

Bulldog

Bulldog
Can we say ugly!  Maybe when they're on the lights on the cab look OK but when they're off they looked terrible.

Bulldog said:
Can we say ugly!  Maybe when they're on the lights on the cab look OK but when they're off they looked terrible.
Wouldn't this also be the first time in a really long time that the NYPD ESU has gotten a non commercial chassis heavy rescue? I can remember Fords, Freightliners, and most recently Macks. Other ESU vehicles have been Internationals while Ford Super Dutys are the ESVs.

IMHO they are pretty ugly looking with the lighting setup on the cab but I guess if it serves the purpose it will do. I just wonder if these will give the NYPD close to 15 years of service like the Mack MR it replaced.

I think it's a sharp looking rig. May they have nothing but good luck with them,

IRISH said:
kfd274 said:
How many of these big ESU units does NYPD have?

used to be 10+ (not sure what they have now)
I think it used to be 12 ESU Rescue trucks. I'm guessing that all the 1997-1998 are being replaced that would be all but 5503, 5504, 5505, and 5509. The first of those 2 are 2002s and the others are 2003s.

I think there were over 20 ESUs in the 40s and 50s. There used to be one in the 100th pct. next to E266 in Rockaway. The door to their old quarters is around the corner from the front of the building. That may have been # 20. They had an open rig that resembled the early rescue rigs.

Its kinda odd to see a Cyclone 2 cab on anything other than a fire truck, nice rig though, I'm sure the mechanics at Absolute will have their work cut out for them during the warranty period.

ESU Truck 3 is in service with new E-one for about 2 months now , This is it operating at an overturn on the Bronx River Parkway just above 233rd Street at the city line.

Well seeing truck 3 with a new unit makes me now believe that NYPD is replacing them in numerical truck order rather than in age order. Truck 3 had a 2002 Mack and was among the "newer" ones in the fleet. The oldest MR remaining in service I think would be 8 with a 1997. The newest MRs are at 5 and 9 who had 2003s.

Bulldog said:

They don't look much different from the old Rescues. Oh wait, it's not painted white over red. Functionality over beauty.