New Site Software

raybrag

Maybe it's time to revisit some of the stickies? There are a few topics where you can't see a new post on the first page of the topic because of the number of stickies . . . others that may be stale (e.g. do we really need Sandy summaries after almost 8 years?). Just a thought.

FDNYSTATENISLAND

Maybe it's time to revisit some of the stickies? There are a few topics where you can't see a new post on the first page of the topic because of the number of stickies . . . others that may be stale (e.g. do we really need Sandy summaries after almost 8 years?). Just a thought.
I agree, they’re the first thing you see on each borough.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Deleting a post?
Does it not let
If you can do me a favor and just hit report post on any of them. Best way for me to track and adjust them.

raybrag

I reported all the Sandy summaries. The other stickies are in the "Site News & Info" and "General Discussion" topics, and you probably don't want to do away with any of them.

Last edited:

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Just so people know that back story.
Over the years we have run a few different software systems. Drupal a content management system which was the original homepage along with then SMF which did the forums and gallery system.

The gallery was shutdown first because the software was never updated to keep pace with changes. Drupal I stopped using after some technical glitches and the forums being the main use, didn't see a need to spend the time and update.

Recently did some security audits on all the sites i am involved with and the SMF didn't meet standards. It would have been a lot of time and effort to update it. The system is also opensource and not a commercial product.

So we made the decision to purchase a commercial product that would could maintain but have support and security updates provided when needed.

The site sits on a dedicated server they we rent and for the most part over the years the software used has all been opensource, so not a very high cost factor to run. Biggest cost is the dedicated server.

The new system does cost us but I feel that it the long run with better security and support it will be worth it.

memory master

I want to thank you very much for this great site and all the time and work you put into it. The members of this site are also the cream of the crop and I'm honored to be part of it. Be safe, be well and God Bless!

raybrag

I understand that ads on this site are necessary to support its existence, and perhaps I just got used to them with the old software . . . placement, size,etc., but tonight when I called the site up, the ad banner filled my entire screen . . . and showed up on every page. Yes, I could scroll down to get to the data I was looking for . . . but do the ads really have to be THAT big and obnoxious?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I tried a different software code, like other things on site, think it might need to be adjusted.

Your on a mobile device?

raybrag

No, Tom, I'm on my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga C940 running Windows 10). And the ads are gone entirely this morning (probably your work). I also noticed that my signature graphic is much larger than it was on the old site. I don't want it to be the only thing you see on my posts. Is there a way I can make it smaller?

nfd2004

Please post any issues here so that I can track problems with the new software.
I still have lots of work to do but wanted to get the site turned back on.
Since this new site first came out, slowly but surely, I've been learning how to operate it.

My most recent accomplishment has been to get the correct time set up. I read Tom's description on how to do that and after some trial and error, it was "mission accomplished".

It "CAN BE DONE". If I can do it, YOU CAN TOO.

I know that he not only provides us with this web site, but he has also spent hours here trying to get all of our concerns and questions taken care of.

THANKS VERY MUCH TOM.

Uncle Wilfred D

FDNYSTATENISLAND

No, Tom, I'm on my laptop (a Lenovo Yoga C940 running Windows 10). And the ads are gone entirely this morning (probably your work). I also noticed that my signature graphic is much larger than it was on the old site. I don't want it to be the only thing you see on my posts. Is there a way I can make it smaller?
I noticed last night the ads were completely gone too, both on mobile and desktop sites. Then this morning they were back lol. Again, great work with the site.

manhattan

Since this new site first came out, slowly but surely, I've been learning how to operate it.

My most recent accomplishment has been to get the correct time set up. I read Tom's description on how to do that and after some trial and error, it was "mission accomplished".

It "CAN BE DONE". If I can do it, YOU CAN TOO.

I know that he not only provides us with this web site, but he has also spent hours here trying to get all of our concerns and questions taken care of.

THANKS VERY MUCH TOM.

Uncle Wilfred D
There's no need for me to repeat what Uncle said; I couldn't say it better. Congratulations on all your work and know how appreciated it is by so many people on several continents!

Parkave32

I was able to reset my password tonight. The last few days i had not recieved the email to reset it but today i did.

My Username was reset to the old one I made? I don't see an option to change my name as the last software had.

Old: FairfaxFireBuff
New: ScreamingQ&FirstDue