New Site Software

68jk09

Thanks for all your work on the site Tom.....PS how do i get the rest of my avatar back ?

CVILLE7111

If this has been answered elsewhere, my apologies. How do I change my user name back to an alias versus my name? Thanks!

Bulldog

Bulldog
If this has been answered elsewhere, my apologies. How do I change my user name back to an alias versus my name? Thanks!
I've been wondering the same thing, right now it's showing my "old" email address as my username.

raybrag

A new wrinkle has appeared this AM . . . ads between every topic. Makes it very difficult to decipher the page. I understand that ads support this site, but this is ridiculous. Looks something like this:

Queens
6/14/20 Queens Box 4398 10-75
2 lines of ad photos
6/13/20 Queens Box
2 lines of ad photos
6/13/20 Queens Box
2 lines of ad photos
6/12/20 Queens Box
Here's a better example. Ads this size between EVERY incident entry. Is this really necessary??
)).png

Last edited:

nfd2004

Ray, "raybrag", and Dan, "Johnny Gage", I will pass these issues onto Tommy B.

I don't know if others are having issues like this either.

Msradell@aol.com, aka "bulldog" as well

Uncle Wilfred

FDNYSTATENISLAND

I'm now fully used to the new site and am a fan of it, but I do agree with raybrag in that the ads are in the middle of pages and quite large. Probably not much you can do about that but just wanted to say I do see the same - worse when on my phone.

Parkave32

I am also having the same problem as Dan with the vertical forums down the right side of the page

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Working on some of these issues.
Avatars have new rules which are different. Trying to see if there are any editing options that we can add.
System doesn't allow name changes by users. Going to update settings so that the Mods can change them.
The Ads are from google, which pay for the site. It's using a new automatic system which I did adjust some settings to improve the user experience. This should take affect tonight but if it doesn't help, there are some more options.
Google dynamically adjusts the ads based on several factors. Unfortunately the site is not cheap to run as we have to use a dedicated server due to the amount of usage we have. We got thrown off the first two system for over usage.
We started on a shared server but used up all the bandwith of the other users and then went to a Virtual Server, same problem. Now we have a dedicated server that we rent

Parkave32

Thanks for al, the hard work Tom. We are very lucky to have the site. Thanks for the dedication

raybrag

Whatever you did seems to have improved the ad situation for me . . . at least somewhat. I can now see three or four items in a borough's incident thread before seeing an ad (if you leave out the banner ad at the top of the page), but of course the ads are all three times larger than they were with the old software. While I'm not thrilled with that, I can live with it, and I thank you, Tommy, not only for this attempt at a fix, but for all you do for the site, and for us.

raybrag

The site no longer recognizes my signature graphic. I tried to reinstall it, but get an error message. Has something changed?