New style buckets on Aerialscopes

Does anyone know why Seagrave/Baker changed the bucket design some years ago from the boom attaching to the rear of the bucket to attaching under? Was there a problem with the ''old style'' design?. Do the FFer's using them have a preference? I think that they look a little funny when they are extended at max angle. It looks like the bucket is just sitting on top of the 2 forks and doesn't look as stable. They must have had a reason to make the change, I suppose.The old buckets were flat on the bottom, so you could literally set them on the ground without damage. Any thoughts? Thanks and stay safe.

l noticed several years ago that the 95' were the first to look like what you are describing, but l don't know why...
Maybe the 95' were always like that, but when FDNY got their  first  in the  80's ... Ladder 12 and 172, 1985's l believe.

They also look more squared off than the old ones. I liked how some Ladders had their company logo on the bottom of the bucket. I am sure that they are better or maybe just the R&D people trying to keep job security.  ;D

I wonder what would happen if there was a hydraulic system failure on the new Scopes.  My first volunteer company had a Mack CF 75-ft Aerialscope.  We had a hose blow one day -- thankfully on the front apron of the station. We dumped a barrel of hydraulic fluid on the concrete. I know, I helped clean it up.

After that, we started mandatory wear of belts while in the bucket (I wore one anyway, working for a power utility taught me that on day one!). It was amazing to me how little thought there was on safety then. Of course, we rode 4 men on the backstep of our pumpers then too.

From what I have been told, and it could be incorrect, the aerialscope will "lock up" in the case of a hydraulic failure.  Another truck company is the preffered method of removing the members from the incapacitated unit, as opposed to using the escape ladder, but obviously you do what you have to do.  Emergency crew mechanics will then do a quick repair on scene to get the boom retracted and down.  I also seem to remember that there was a way to connect a second tower to the disabled one and use its hydraulic pressure to get the first down, but I have no other info on that, if its even true.

yes there is a set of valves on every tower ladder, that you can hook up to another truck, and use those hydraulics to run the disabled truck.  its not as easy as it sounds.