New to the site. Thanks for having me. I try to reunite helmets.

8060rock

The photo in the book was taken when Engine 65 celebrated its Centennial in 1998. Capt. George McQueen handed over the reigns to Capt. Richard Rotanz right before then. Rotanz retired in 2002 and Capt. Murtagh manned the ship from then until he retired in 2019 making him the longest serving Captain of Engine 65.
Son of Matty Murtagh (DC in 5th Div - Harlem for years) - I believe he retired an AC - was 1 of the founders of Fire Tech - great chief & even better guy (RIP) - I'm sure the apple didn't fall far from the tree!!

Last edited:

Drill master

The photo in the book was taken when Engine 65 celebrated its Centennial in 1998. Capt. George McQueen handed over the reigns to Capt. Richard Rotanz right before then. Rotanz retired in 2002 and Capt. Murtagh manned the ship from then until he retired in 2019 making him the longest serving Captain of Engine 65.
Solution, have the present Captain check any monthly report for the year in question and this will show who the Captain was at that time.
AndyT

Hkkid

Solution, have the present Captain check any monthly report for the year in question and this will show who the Captain was at that time.
AndyT
Thanks. I found out that the helmet was a gift from Commissioner Von Esson.

Fireman488

Hello. I'm trying to figure out who the Captain of 65 Engine was in 1999. Thanks for any help you can provide me with.
I think it was Rich Rotanz, who left to take a position with OEM just prior to 9/11.