New Units

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
More talk about Squads being created one in Staten Island and one on the upper west side of Manhattan. Also talks of a new Battalion in Queens and maybe a ladder in harlem.

Very early stages but interesting.

why would we possibly need another truck company in Harlem for?  The water leaks and elevators wearing the men down?

I can see a squad for Staten Island (would shorten the response for SQ-1) and possibly a new truck there as well.
Where would a new Harlem truck be quartered?....E-91?...L-26-2?

If Both Squads do come to fruition will they be new units or just take over an engine company??

i did hear rumors...trucks are doing 5000 runs or close to it, but i just don't see them opening new companies.  What we might see though is modifying the response matrix in order to make more companies available.  The modified response program has worked well, so now it would be easier to just start leaving some of the companies in quarters

enginecap said:
i did hear rumors...trucks are doing 5000 runs or close to it, but i just don't see them opening new companies.  What we might see though is modifying the response matrix in order to make more companies available.  The modified response program has worked well, so now it would be easier to just start leaving some of the companies in quarters

According to FDNewYork, of Harlem truck co's. only L 43 (4,337 runs) and L 26 (4,331) were in the top ten for runs in 2014. No truck in the 5 boroughs did 5,000 or more runs. There are some areas in Brooklyn, Queens and S.I. where trucks have long runs and would benefit from the addition of a new truck company.

http://www.fdnewyork.com/top10.asp

At least there is talk of opening companies or once as opposed to closing some down.

E165 would be the SI bet...  Upper west side?  That kinda lets E044 off the hook, no?

Only Upper West Side single engine companies are 47, 67, 74. The only firehouse in Harlem with room for a truck is E91. Staten Island can use a Squad but can also use another truck at E158. There is a great need for a truck at E97 in the Bronx and a truck at E283 in Brooklyn would ease the workload on L170, 174, 120, 103 & 123. 

The past week has had SQ1 runnin here a lot, this might really get the talk of gettin a SQ here goin with the higher ups. I can't imagine it being "fun" for them to get halfway out here then get told to go 10-8.

NYBravest82 said:
The past week has had SQ1 runnin here a lot, this might really get the talk of gettin a SQ here goin with the higher ups. I can't imagine it being "fun" for them to get halfway out here then get told to go 10-8.
Plus if the squad is heading over the Verrazano every time Staten Island has a job, whether they go 10-8 en route or they go 10-84 at a fire, SQ252 has to come all the way from Bushwick to any job that may occur in the 8th or 11th Divisions as the assigned squad.

making engine 91 into a squad might be good! It could handle runs for the upper east side and the upper part of manhatten as well as a squad for 41 in the bronx if needed freeing up squad 61.

Engine 165 on SI would be the ideal location for a new squad - Gman is right, there is also a need for a truck company at Engine 158 in Northwestern SI.

Squad 1 has made quite a few trips to SI in the past week as NYBravest82 has mentioned, they made 2 trips today alone. I understand the idea for a squad on SI might be shot down due to amount of jobs the island sees usually, but that being said the amount of jobs we do see should constitute the formation of one... hopefully someone up at Metro Tech is noticing a pattern with the amount of jobs, particularity in the past week, and the location of them, as most of them if not all of them, were on the south shore quite far from the VN bridge. We saw this as a problem today as Brooklyn had 2 jobs at the same time - Squad 288 from Northern Queens had to respond.

We see even in Brownsville and Harlem that a new truck is needed, but what are the odds that these companies are actually formed? I understand this is an early stage of the process but it is interesting to think of the outcome.

As for a new Battalion Chief in Queens, well they can use one. Queens is not my strong area but even I can see that some of the Battalions have pretty long runs to some boxes out there - like the 23 out here in SI.

enginecap said:
I would think that leaving Units in qtrs could be steps away from closing some.

mack

Administrator
SI West Shore engine companies are all single engines - E 158, E 154, E 168 - a lot of new construction - very long runs for L 86, L 87, L 84

SI still only has 3 battalions - needs at least one new BC - mid location of SI

Can't depend on VN Bridge for responses, relocations

Squad shortages already noted

Needs are only going to increase - in many areas of the city

Staten Island had at least 2 all hands today, so something really needs to be done. But will the budget allow for it. Could engine or ladder companies be relocated?

Some very interesting points brought up. Maybe Metrotech should listen to some of these guys here. A lot of good facts presented.

Every time Squad 1 goes to Staten Island, I remember being told by a member there it is about a 20-25 mile trip. That's a long ride down that BQE and over the VN Bridge even without traffic.

When and if that time comes , who be interesting to see if they re-establish Batt 59 ....Back in 1984 they were re-established them at E 319 until 1989 when they were again disbanded.......They got the 28 Batt boxes  from upper Ridgewood  going east of Forest Ave the 46 Batt boxes in upper Maspeth , Forest Hills and the 51 Batt in the Queens C.O. area....The company's assigned to the 59 Batt were E 286-291-294-305-319  L 135-140-143-151

With the approx. 20 companies on the chopping block in the past few years, I don't know if I see any brand new companies being created. Most likely the re-establishing of disbanded units (i.e. the 59 Battalion as AuxWayYearsCapt mentioned) or in the case of the squads, converting existing companies.