News of Our Site Administrator, retired FDNY Capt John Bendick

nfd2004

Good News on Retired Capt John Bendick, our site Administrator.

On Wednesday (12/9), John was transferred to a rehab center in White Plains. From what I hear, it has a very good reputation.

As I understand it, at this point John will remain there for about two weeks, then go home where he will continue receiving rehab a few times a week at a local rehab in Yonkers.

I think John is aware of all your well wishes and he is very THANKFUL to YOU for them.

Certainly the worst is over. Those doctors and nurses at St John's Hospitals ICU in Yonkers "SAVED HIS LIFE".
GOD BLESS THEM FOR THE JOB THEY DO. Particularity during this COVID outbreak.

And speaking of Covid, John's wife Madeline, got to see John at that rehab center on Wednesday. Then right after she left, the rehab center came out with a "NO VISITORS Policy" due to the increase in Covid.

68jk09

GREAT news....you fought the good fight & won John.....keep on going with rehab & you will be back in the swing of things before you know it.

jtsjc1

Thank God good news the Capt. is doing well. I don't know him personally but glad he's on the road to recovery.

nfd2004

Members of Nycfire, I have some very good news.

This evening (Tuesday 12/15) our site Administrator, Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick called me. Of course I was very happy to hear from him.

The reason he called was to say that he is HOME now. Today, he left Burke Rehab Center in Yonkers where he was receiving one hour of rehab, three times a day.

John tells me that while at home, he will be going to a local rehab center in Yonkers, 3 - 4 times a week, for a period of about 4 weeks.

After being in St Johns Hospitals ICU a few days, his wife was told that due to the uprising in COVID, the hospital policy of No Visitors began. Then after John was transferred to Burke Rehab, after only one day, she was again told no visitors will be allowed to visit. So it's been a very tough road for them after being married for 46 years.

Now John is home and happily united with his wife and family again.

John has been made aware of all the Get Well Wishes he received from you and he is very THANKFUL for them.

Of course he is also very THANKFUL to all the hospital and rehab staff who have contributed to his recovery after this very serious medical condition he suffered. Those people know their stuff and they save lives and help people everyday.

I would personally like to THANK his two sons. John "A" as he is called. John was the first one to notify me of his fathers very serious sickness and he kept me updated whenever possible.
Johns son Tommy, the owner of this site, also kept me updated as well.
Whenever I contacted them, they always got back to me.

I hope pretty soon we will all hear from Capt John Bendick on this site.

raybrag

Great News! Welcome home, John! And thanks for keeping us informed, Willy. (y)

nfd2004

John got home last Wednesday (12/16). That evening a member of the FDNY stopped by to get measurements to build a ramp for John to use while he uses his wheel chair. That FDNY member drove all the way from Long Island to John's house in Yonkers.

The next day, Ten off duty members showed up to build that ramp at 7:30 am. The lumber arrived at 8 am and they went to work. Never taking a break the entire day, despite the offer for food, coffee.

In addition to that, the snow started to come down but for these FDNY members there was NO STOPPING THEM. They were going to continue until the entire ramp was built.

In addition to that they also put up a handrail in his shower, plus a railing for him to use in his bedroom.

I can tell you that John and his wife are very THANKFUL to these Ten Members of the FDNY, and also the the Family Assistance Group, as well as the Tunnel to Towers who made this project all possible.

A perfect example of the Brotherhood of the FDNY.

nfd2004

I talked to John Bendick today, Wednesday (12/23/20). John asked me to pass this down to the members of this site.

I QUOTE:

"First I want to THANK EVERYONE for their prayers and best wishes. Please keep the prayers coming as I continue my recovery. This continues to be a slow process and right now I am using a walker. I will start out patient therapy next week.

I want to THANK my sons John and Tommy for contacting the FDNY Family Assistance Unit. They made arrangements for a ramp to be built, along with grab rails in the shower and bedroom. Nine Brothers and One Sister spent the day building this ramp in the cold. The lumber was donated by "Fight For Firefighters Foundation", then the members donated their services.

It goes without saying I can not thank Willy enough for keeping in contact with my family. I know that he kept you all posted on my condition. He is an amazing friend (Brother from a different mother).

The Brotherhood and Sisterhood is Alive and Well".

END OF QUOTE.

Last edited:

nfd2004

John I would like to add, We will continue to keep you in our prayers for a FULL RECOVERY.

THANK YOU to ALL those who contributed to your care and recovery, including the services of the FDNY Membership.

You are a good friend to many of us here. If not for you, as well as your son Tommy, "we would not be here".

John would like to have info posted on making donations to the Fight For Firefighters Foundation.

www.fightforfirefightersfoundation.com

Address:
Fight For Firefighters
P.O. Box 396
Bethpage, NY 11714

Last edited: