NYC EMS as it once was

This is the NYC EMS as it was before the merger with FDNY. A group of people trained to save lives in the largest city in America.

This is their story in Part 1 of a five part series as told by A&E. They often worked under some very difficult conditions. They saved lives and were the doctors in the streets of New York.

Site member "memory master", aka Charlie T., you were a part of it, so "this one's for you".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQfuwbUtk4 

I thank you "NFD." Brought back some memories as I knew some and worked directly with others. Those white shirts sure took a beating, ex: wearing a white shirt while working on the subway tracks?  But yes, those were the days!

Continuing with the story of "NYC EMS as it once was", we continue to follow these dedicated life savors of the largest city in the country. They very seldom received any recognition for the job they did and the thousands of lives they saved.

They are hero's - no doubt about that. Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, throughout the five boros of New York City. These are the kinds of people who were out there for all of us in our most desperate time of need.

I respect them for the job they've done and I continue to respect the EMTs and Paramedics of the FDNY/EMS today.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjZFtRR7Kw

I was sorry to see that the above videos posted are no longer available. So I wanted to find something to give credit to the kind of work that the members of the NYC EMS Health and Hospitals members did. They too were a part of the life savors of New York City as the NYPD and FDNY. And during the very difficult years of the 1970s and 1980s, they too were the glue holding the country's largest city together.

During those years street violence sky rocketed with shootings, stabbings and gang violence. Fires in the city were at historic proportions injuring civilians and firefighters as well. Drug addiction from the heron epidemic was at it's highest levels. Crack cocaine was also beginning to hit the streets.

In addition there were the everyday car accidents, the heart attacks, the falls, the drunks, the mentally unstable (EDPs).

The people of the NYC EMS saw it all. And throughout that time, no doubt they had a direct impact on saving thousands and thousands of lives.

I was once invited into the NYC EMS Dispatch Center in Maspeth Queens and given a tour by the boss. As I remember, I think one area had the call takers and the other area had the dispatch consoles (?). Everybody was busy the entire time I was there. It was a huge operation that never shut down.

I wanted to show those who might not be aware the kind of work these people did. This was Pre FDNY Merger Days. Today of course the EMTs and Medics of the FDNY/EMS do the same job. So this is dedicated to them as well.

I also know that we have a few members on this site that work or have worked EMS in New York City. Including "memorymaster" who I believe was also an EMS Supervisor. Also site member "69mets", who later became a NYC Firefighter, and after the FDNY/EMS merger, this site owner "tbendick", who is now a Lt in the FDNY.

Well here's the video. You get to see what it was like in the NYC EMS.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT04UJOWgpk