NYC Vollies

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many volunteer companies (recognized or not) still exist in NYC?

I can think of:

Richmond Engine
Oceanic H&L
Point Breeze
Roxbury
Gerritsen Beach
Howard Beach

Any others?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Queens:
Broad Channel VFD&AC: 15 Noel Road, Broad Channel

West Hamilton Beach: 102-33 Davenport Ct, Howard Beach

Roxbury VFD: 42 State Rd, Rockaway Point

Point Breeze: 29 Pt. Breeze Ave, Rockaway Beach

Rockaway Point: 202-30 Rockaway Point Blvd, Rockaway Beach

Brooklyn:
Gerritsen Beach: 52 Seba Avenue, Brooklyn

Bronx:
Aviation #3: 1820 Harding Park, Bronx http://www.aviation3.com

Edgewater Park: 1 Edgewater Park @ The Mansion, Bronx

Staten Island:
Richmond Engine: 3664 Richmond Rd, Staten Island

Oceanic H&L: 4010 Victory Blvd, Staten Island

There was an article in the Daily News a few years back about Aviation and how mismanagement since 9/11 has left it more or less defunct.  Their webpage doesn't seem to have been updated in years either, so no clue if they're really active any more.

The Staten Island companies I know are recognized by FDNY and are occasionally called on by SI dispatch.

L

LT.FINHOLTAVIATIONFD

HELLO MY NAME IS TYRONE IM A LT. WITH THE AVIATION F.D. IN THE BRONX. WE ARE IN FACT STILL ACTIVE. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A TEMPORARY FIRE HOUSE AT THIS TIME AND ARE ALL MOST DONE. WE HOPE TO BE IN FULL SERVICE BY THE SUMMER. PLEASE FILL FREE TO ASK ANY ? U MAY HAVE... ALSO I AM TRYING TO GET OUR WEBSITE UPDATED!!!.......

Sounds like it is time to bring back the Auxiliaries of the 60s and 70s.  Now that was a time!

>>Sounds like it is time to bring back the Auxiliaries of the 60s and 70s.  Now that was a time!<<

Count me in!  FDNY is promoting that lame CERT program on its website, so why not?

Anyone tight with a city councilman, or three? 

Maybe the City could get some Federal bucks by re-instituting the program.  They used too.  There's no motivator for politicians like hard cash.

Matter of fact, if any of the vollie companies would take out-of-towners as  "associate" members or somesuch, I'm sure there would be more than a couple of people willing to toss a few bucks for the privilege.

LT.FINHOLTAVIATIONFD said:
HELLO MY NAME IS TYRONE IM A LT. WITH THE AVIATION F.D. IN THE BRONX. WE ARE IN FACT STILL ACTIVE. WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A TEMPORARY FIRE HOUSE AT THIS TIME AND ARE ALL MOST DONE. WE HOPE TO BE IN FULL SERVICE BY THE SUMMER. PLEASE FILL FREE TO ASK ANY ? U MAY HAVE... ALSO I AM TRYING TO GET OUR WEBSITE UPDATED!!!.......

Good to hear you guys are still up and running  ;D

L

LT.FINHOLTAVIATIONFD

THE TEMP FIRE HOUSE IS  ALL THE WAY AT THE  END OF SOUNDVIEW AV. BY THE WATER. DOWN THE BLOCK FROM THE LAST STOP ON THE BX27 BUS IF THAT HELPS. ITS 2 BIG "TIN HOUSE" TO BAD L-176 HAS THAT NICK NAME ALREADY!

2 questions.  1. Why do we have volly companies in NYC in the first place?  Are these at locations that are hard to reach for the normal FD.  I live down the road from Edgewater, and I saw a job there over the winter where it seemed like the FDNY got in pretty quick.  2. The avation unit, your house is gonna be at the end of soundview were they were building those new condos?  In E-96 and TL-54 first due area?

L

LT.FINHOLTAVIATIONFD

YES BY THE NEW CONDOS. WHERE JUST DOWN THE BLOCK FROM WHERE WE USED TO BE...........

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
It was a april fools joke..  They can't touch the volley's they won't go unless they decide to do so.  FDNY, NYPD, etc don't have control over them.  They only tie to the city is some form of tax they collect for them.

J

johnmiles

fdonthejob said:
Vollie units in nyc are not needed and will all be disbanded june 1, 2008 by order of PC Kelly. There will be no vollies allowed in NYC.

what are you guys using as apparatus?

F

firekid52a

What happend to Avation Fire Dept i've herd that many things about them but I dont know what happend

J

johnmiles

RPM3311 said:
fdonthejob said:
Closed down.

You are starting to piss everybody off here by your made up information... this was a great site and now its just getting annyoing to come on here and the only thread getting updated is this made up BS that you started.... they obviosly did not close down if an Officer of Aviation is tallking about the company, can this thread be closed or can FDonthejob be booted out for making false statements? Like i said erlier its annoying, lets get back to talking about REAL information and jobs going on in NYC!!

aviation quaters were in bad shape  that they were evicted and the old house was torn down

How are these companies utilized? Are they dispatched routinely or under special circumstances? Of the 17 years I've been listening to FDNY radio traffic I've only heard Richmond #1 on one occassion.

vbcapt said:
How are these companies utilized? Are they dispatched routinely or under special circumstances? Of the 17 years I've been listening to FDNY radio traffic I've only heard Richmond #1 on one occassion.

The two Staten Island companies are the only ones recognized by FDNY, and the only ones that are dispatched by FDNY.  For the most part they have their own dispatchers; residents in areas such as Broad Channel will actually call the BCVFD for minor emergencies instead of calling 911.  Since SI has longer response times than most other Boroughs the two companies there will be assigned by FDNY when needed.
Very rarely will FDNY call on other companies; the most recent example I think was 9/11 when Aviation and I think West Hamilton and Richmond Engine were special called in.

Status
Not open for further replies.