NYPD.

RET NYPD OFFICER RICHARD "RICO" RAINEY HAS PASSED TO A HIGHER LEVEL AFTER YEARS OF SUFFERING FROM THE BLA ATTACK & STILL CARRYING A BULLET IN HIS BODY .......PLEASE PASS ON TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE KNOWN RICO

Sad news: Our friend Rico passed away Tuesday (March 3rd) morning. He was only 66 years old. Arrangements are as follows:

Wake:
Friday March 6, 2015 (one day/night only)
2PM - 4PM and
7PM - 9PM
Stutzmans Funeral Home
224 - 39 Jamaica Ave, Queens Village, NY 11428
Phone: 718-465-3210
www.dignitymemorial.com/r-stutzmann-son-queens-village/en-us/index.page?cid=YP.DM.7322

Funeral:
9:45 AM Saturday March 7, 2015
Blessed Sacrament RC Church
34-24 203rd Street ? Bayside, NY 11361 ?
Phone: 718-229-5929
olbschurch.org/

Richard "Rico" Rainey was a gentle giant. He was shot multiple times in line of duty back in the Spring of 1981 when he and his partner, John Scarangella, pulled over a white van in St. Albans Queens thought to be connected to a string of robberies. Two members of the Black Liberation Army, exited the van and fired 30 shots at the patrol car. Rico survived, his partner died 2 weeks later.

www.nytimes.com/2010/12/20/nyregion/20sign.html

May he rest in peace and may his family find some measure of closure. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers

REST IN PEACE BROTHER.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

Gunman targets trio of cops atop Brooklyn housing development; none hurt

BY Rocco Parascandola , Tina Moore
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, March 5, 2015, 8:09 AM
Police are hunting a gunman who shot at three cops patrolling the roof of a Brooklyn housing project Wednesday night.

The officers were not hurt and didn't return fire, police said Thursday.

The incident unfolded as training Officer Heriberto Hernande, and two recent Police Academy graduates, were canvassing the roof of 1610 East 102nd St. in the Bayview Houses about 10:20 p.m. when a shot was fired from an adjacent rooftop.

The officers took cover and saw the silhouette of a man on the other building. They heard three more gunshots and saw the accompanying muzzle flashes, police said.

Hernandez reported "shots fired at officers" over his department radio and Emergency Services Unit personnel swarmed the development.

Police searched for the gunman, but he got away. No firearm was found.

Cops typically start vertical patrols of public housing on rooftops and work their way down.

An unarmed man, Akai Gurley, 28, was shot dead Nov. 20 in the pitch-black stairwell of the Pink Houses in East New York by a rookie cop who fired his weapon during a vertical patrol.

That officer, Peter Lian, 27, has been indicted for manslaughter.

rparascandola@nydailynews.com

Last edited by a moderator:
A driver waited at a red light on Bath Avenue and 21st Avenue in Bath Beach, Brooklyn, last Friday morning. He heard the familiar sound of a short blast from a police siren behind him ? ?whoop-whoop? ? and realized the traffic light had turned green.

He drove forward and looked in his rearview mirror. The first thing the driver, William G. Taylor, found strange about the vehicle behind him was that he had never seen it before. Strange, because he is not only a police captain and 23-year veteran of the department, he is the commanding officer of the 62nd Precinct ? its station house just five blocks away.

?I thought it was one of my guys who knew it was me,? Captain Taylor said on Friday. He knows every unmarked police vehicle in the precinct but this was not one of them. It was a GMC Acadia, a sport utility vehicle.

Next, police lights flashed from the vehicle. ?I guess I wasn?t going fast enough for him,? Captain Taylor said. ?They started flashing and he gives me the siren again.?

The lights were on the vehicle?s passenger-side visor, where an officer would mount them but they were clearly not department-issued lights, he said. Captain Taylor was driving his personal vehicle, still on his way to work, he said, and so he could not perform a car stop. He reached for his police radio to call it in when the Acadia turned off Bath Avenue.

?I put over the air that I needed some assistance,? he said. Soon after ? ?20 seconds,? he said ? four police cars converged around the Acadia. ?I got out and pointed to the car, ?Here?s the guy,? ? Captain Taylor said.

Cases of police impersonations have kept the real police busy in recent months. In February, two men who were arrested after a strong-arm robbery in Spanish Harlem in Manhattan turned out to be members of the auxiliary police ? unarmed volunteers ? posing as officers. They beat and handcuffed a deliveryman from a Chinese restaurant and took his money, the police said.

In October, a woman walking to a store for cigarettes in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, was stopped by a man in a car who beckoned her inside, saying he knew where to get some. She did, and he spoke into a hand-held radio, using police jargon, the police said. He pulled over and demanded sex, saying he would arrest her if she did not comply, the police said. She did, and later escaped. Officers arrested a man identified as Walter Barnes, 47, of Flatlands, Brooklyn, charging him with rape and police impersonation.

Another man, identified as Francisco Rivera, 29, of Jamaica, Queens, was arrested twice for raping or assaulting women in motel rooms after identifying himself as a police officer, in October and November, the police said.

Yet another man was impersonating a police officer outside Kennedy International Airport in Queens for a week in February, hailing livery cabs and, once inside, claiming to be an officer and waving a gun, demanding money. The police said he got away with cellphones and hundreds of dollars in cash.

He remains at large. So does a team of two men committing at least six robberies in Queens, pulling up in a black car or van, with one of the men getting out and searching passers-by and then stealing their wallets. A video from a surveillance camera showed one of the robberies, with the suspect, bald and holding a flashlight, calmly patting down the victim.

And these are just the cases the police know about. Traditionally, favorite targets for thieves impersonating police officers are drug dealers, who are loathe to report the crimes after the fact.

In Bath Beach, officers approached the Acadia, and the driver followed their directions and got out.

Inside the vehicle, besides the flashing lights, the police found a radio tuned to emergency frequencies and a jacket marked N.Y.P.D. in block letters on the back.

?How are you making the sounds of a siren?? Captain Taylor recalled asking.

The driver, identified as Christopher Agoglia, 41, of Bath Beach, showed him his phone. There was a siren app on the screen, apparently connected wirelessly to speakers in the Acadia. ?You press a button and it makes the sound of a siren,? Captain Taylor said.

?The impersonation unit came down and talked to him,? to see if he was committing crimes with the police gear, Captain Taylor said. He did not seem to be doing anything ?other than being a buff,? the captain said. He was arrested and charged with impersonating an officer. A woman at the address he gave told police he had moved out months ago.

Mr. Agoglia offered no explanation to the police for the equipment in his vehicle. As for the jacket, he said it belonged to his mother-in-law, a retired crossing guard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/25/nyregion/a-suspected-police-impersonator-pulls-up-right-behind-the-real-thing.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

fltpara16 said:
Prayers for the injured Officer, his family, and fellow Police Officers.

Steve, I echo what you say. In the meantime, this $hit has got to stop. A police officer struggles to stay alive as his family prays they don't loose him.

Bless those guys in Blue. I could not have a family member doing these kinds of jobs. That takes a very special kind of person and I'm not ashamed to say it, but "I'm not one of them". 

nfd3004 as a retired Police sergeant I commend you on your honesty. I just wish that the general public could be made to think that way.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Recently each day that thin blue line is getting thinner & thinner....