Officer Side Siamese Intakes on 2,000 Gpm Pumpers

Does anyone know why there is a siamese intake on the officer's side of the 2,000 gpm pumpers ? The chauffer's side has a single intake. One side of the siamese is marked for drafting only.

BCR

It?s so the can get 2000 gpm from one intake. One side of the Siamese can be supplied by hydrant/relay/draft. The other side is draft only.

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
It?s so the can get 2000 gpm from one intake. One side of the Siamese can be supplied by hydrant/relay/draft. The other side is draft only.
Is there something special about the "draft only" intake? Could you put 2 lines from other supplies into that Siamese?

So, if I understand correctly in order to reach 2,000 gpm they need two water sources.  Either 2 hydrants or a hydrant and draft.  They can use this intake Siamese for both water supply sources. Could they also use the Chauffeur side intake and the front intake or the Chauffeur intake and one of the right side intakes  to supply two intake lines ? Also it would seem to me that with two intakes they could probably get much more than 2,000 gpm. Is this true ?

A pumpers rated capacity is determined :
At draft
10 feet above the water source
Through 20 feet of hard suction - in this case 2-20 foot auctions.
To accomplish this 20' requirement both suctions need to be on the same side of the rig.
A pressurised water source can yield in excess of 2000 com.
As far as the " draft only " fitting I can't comment without actually seeing it.

The "draft only" intake is marked as such for safety, there is no intake relief valve on that intake. If connected to a pressurized source, it is not able to bleed pressure spikes, so it is designated as vacuum only / draft only plumbing.

Last edited: