ONE MOMENT IN TIME.

An excellent video dedicated to the members of the FDNY War Years

In the first 20-25 seconds, the picture includes Retired Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick" - 2nd from the left

Followed by a picture featuring Retired B/C Jack Kleehaas, aka "68jk09" (center)

There are photos in that video that were taken by Retired Lt Jay Walsh, aka "hosewagon", and this sites Most Valuable Player, Mike Dick, aka "mikeindabronx".
One of my favorites is at 2:45 min. I think Mike took that picture.

The radio traffic back then might have went something like this then:
Ladder 58 to Bronx
Ladder 58 unless it's urgent stand by
Ladder 58 URGENT - 10-75. We have a fire in a vacant five brick MD with fire on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th floors.
Ladder 58 - You and 45 Engine do the best you can. We don't have anybody else right now. We'll try to fill it out as soon as we can K

At the 2:15 min mark is a picture of a recruitment poster for the upcoming firefighters scheduled test of December 3, 1977. On the left in that photo is Firefighter Frank Martinez of Ladder Co 27 and on the right is Firefighter Clyde Williams of Ladder Co 25. During his career, I believe Firefighter Williams was recognized for the rescue of a civilian trapped in a fire beyond the reach of the aerial ladder

Guys on the job then, as well as buffs, still talk about those "Moments In Time" during the FDNY War Years.

Last edited: