Operations in coastal flooding

I am looking for some information on operations in coastal flooding.  I am particularly interested in how FDNY responds with apparatus on flooded roadways.  I am sure their experience after Sandy caused some changes in this area.  I would like to get in touch with the chief in charge of this area; I suspect it is someone in SOC.  I am researching this for my own FD and for research paper.  Thanks & stay safe.

CaptPump said:
I am looking for some information on operations in coastal flooding.  I am particularly interested in how FDNY responds with apparatus on flooded roadways.  I am sure their experience after Sandy caused some changes in this area.  I would like to get in touch with the chief in charge of this area; I suspect it is someone in SOC.  I am researching this for my own FD and for research paper.  Thanks & stay safe.

"CaptPump", I think you will be able to find a wealth of information right here on this site, that I am sure will be of help to you.

In the "search" area, top right corner, of this site, I typed in "FDNY Storm Sandy" and several topics of discussion came up regarding that major flooding event which took place in NYC.

Examples were:
  "Scuba/Swiftwater response unit"
  "Hurricane Sandy, South Queens photos"
  "High Volume Water Unit"
  "Re:SRT - EMS station relocation trailers"

Eastern and southern parts of SI flood heavily in rainstorms...Sandy was a whole nother level. I know that E162 which has a response area largely low lying and coastal, had a hell of a night tour. Same with E151 and E164. As far as navigating, the Dept. has a rig that is high up, they send it to other hurricane disaster areas as well (Swift water?). A lot of companies during sandy parked blocks down and walked to boxes. Breezy point fire, the neighborhood fire - companies were completely unable to get onto the blocks themselves.

I know that the city is looking into ways to helping with coastal flooding on SI by adding to th existing Beach berms. Also: the SI Bluebelt project very effectively helps with flooding on SI. That?s worth a google if you?re not familiar.

During Hurricane Sandy in Breezy Point FDNY Units actually drafted the standing water that was covering the street to get a Fire fighting water supply...drafting in the FDNY is not often used practice ..... Pumpers are equipped with modern suction hose for just that evolution.

BCR

FDNYSTATENISLAND said:
Eastern and southern parts of SI flood heavily in rainstorms...Sandy was a whole nother level. I know that E162 which has a response area largely low lying and coastal, had a hell of a night tour. Same with E151 and E164. As far as navigating, the Dept. has a rig that is high up, they send it to other hurricane disaster areas as well (Swift water?). A lot of companies during sandy parked blocks down and walked to boxes. Breezy point fire, the neighborhood fire - companies were completely unable to get onto the blocks themselves.

I know that the city is looking into ways to helping with coastal flooding on SI by adding to th existing Beach berms. Also: the SI Bluebelt project very effectively helps with flooding on SI. That?s worth a google if you?re not familiar.
What you?re thinking of is the High Water Reaponse Units. There were 6 purchased, they are 6x6 crew cab internationals with a large covered bed with bench seats to perform evacuations of flooded areas and access areas in deep snow etc. the swift water units are for water rescue / evacuation from fast moving water. They consist of a crew cab pick up truck with a trailer that carry?s 2 boats, one is a flat bottomed boat with a small pump, a short lentght of suction hose is tossed over the side and drafts, has a small monitor and the ability to pump a hose line. The other boat is a RHIB type boat

High Water Response Unit:

10579072265_d21da8c042.jpg

Swift Water Response Unit:

10579143984_5646f0ffa2.jpg

D75_5757.jpg