Peru : Airbus 380 collided with ARFF truck - 2 FF dead.

Now, looks like a fatal momentary lapse by the ARFF E/O. The plan the crew was briefed on was to make a left out of quarters, proceed east toward 16-34, and then make a right turn on a taxiway under construction (marked with construction cones) about 200' before they got to the active runway. The guy missed the turn. Both the A320 and the ARFF unit have black boxes and they are in France to be analyzed.

One more thing in life that has no room for error. RIP

Now, looks like a fatal momentary lapse by the ARFF E/O. The plan the crew was briefed on was to make a left out of quarters, proceed east toward 16-34, and then make a right turn on a taxiway under construction (marked with construction cones) about 200' before they got to the active runway. The guy missed the turn. Both the A320 and the ARFF unit have black boxes and they are in France to be analyzed.

I realize that hindsight is 20/20 but maybe a sheet of plywood with a huge arrow where the turn was supposed to happen might have helped as well. It just seems that it is the simple things that cause us the most problems.

Bulldog

Bulldog
By the way also the European Committee is thinking about reducing the flight crew from 2 to 1. Don't worry though, that is a non-starter here!
I wouldn't be so sure about that, with the shortage of flight crews these days I'm sure the airlines would push for it in order to get more flights in the air!

mack

Administrator

It looks like both of deceased FFs were members of fire companies in Lima (6 & 7) and maybe not necessarily assigned full time to airport duty? If so, they were participating in a drill which turned deadly with active aircraft. It still seems that experienced FFs familar with the runways and aircraft, would be aware of active runway risks and dangers. Maybe the planners and supervisors have assignment and judgment responsibility questions if inexperienced FFs were assigned a response time drill.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, with the shortage of flight crews these days I'm sure the airlines would push for it in order to get more flights in the air!
I think if the flight originates or the destination is in the US FAA has mandates in place for crew numbers. Also if a place of US manufacture is involved in an incident such as a crash or something on the ground in a foreign country the FAA investigates. I got this info from "Air Disasters" on Smithstonian Channel

Bulldog

Bulldog
I think if the flight originates or the destination is in the US FAA has mandates in place for crew numbers. Also if a place of US manufacture is involved in an incident such as a crash or something on the ground in a foreign country the FAA investigates. I got this info from "Air Disasters" on Smithstonian Channel
Yes, that mandate is certainly in place today, but the way things are changing in the world today that mandate could easily go away in the future!