PHILADELPHIA DISPATCH POLICY

For those of you who follow Philadelphia I was told that effective today all structural fires will get dispatched as a FULL BOX ASSIGNMENT (4 Engines, 2 Ladders, 2 Battalion Chiefs) plus a Medic Unit.  Rescue Company 1 also responds automatically on Center City Boxes.  Previously dwelling fires were initially dispatched as a TACTICAL BOX ASIGNMENT (2 Engines, 2 Ladders, 1 Battalion Chief).  Fire Communications could upgrade to a FULL BOX depending on the quantity and quality of calls.  Back in the early War Years ALL structure fires were dispatched as a LOCAL (1 Engine, 1 Ladder, 1 Battalion Chief).

Bulldog

Bulldog
Do you have any idea why they are changing the dispatch policy?  Have they had some recent incidents where 1st due companies were overwhelmed when they 1st arrived on the scene?  Another possibility of courses that they want to keep the run numbers up to demonstrate the need for the manpower and equipment they have to the powers that be.

XPFD3, I thank you as well.

Also, as I once remember the Philly FD had four(?) main channels to listen to. One being the North Dispatch (?), the other being the South Dispatch (?). Also there was a separate channel for the FD Rescue Ambulances, and a City Wide Channel similar to FDNYs City Wide. Is that still in effect and I understand they are now 800 mhz digital.

What channels (and frequencies) do you recommend the buffs to listen to if they were traveling to Philly using a portable scanner ?

Bulldog: New Mayor took office in January, 2016. He brought in a new Commissioner from outside the PFD in May, 2016.  I understand he felt that since most of the work is at dwelling fires more resources should be dispatched initially to provide some resources in reserve. 
Willy D:  PFD has been on a 800 MHZ TRUNKED radio system for at least 10 years now.  The primary channels are North Fire, South Fire, North Medic, South Medic.  Extra alarm fires stay on the frequency they were initially dispatched on.  Usually when a job goes past four alarms they move everything but the extra over to the other fire band.